"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, November 25, 2011

Simple Life

Our Thanksgiving was simply lovely. Knowing that my oldest would not be heading off far away made my thoughts peaceful. We ate early which is not the norm, but I seemed to like having the afternoon and evening for games and visiting. We played the board game Life and then the kids played a game system with Bill on our bed with Bill laying on one side and the others piled around. I can't remember the game as I am not a gamer unless it is board games or playing cards!

Although we had the traditional foods(well kind of) we also had salsa on the table as a meal in our house without salsa is not a meal! I made cheesecake, pumpkin pie and cherry pie. I skipped the cranberries because as the lone cranberry fan it seemed not to be too important. This year I boiled the bones and waste and ended up with 28 quarts of dog food. After I removed all the bones I boiled the meats and fats with some frozen veggies, rice, pasta, and lentils. I wrote about the recipe I used here. So our turkey made not only our meal for Thanksgiving, but so far it has been nibbled on last night, eaten with a roll this morning and will be for lunch as well as at least four more meals as I shredded the turkey and froze four 2 cup portions. I know I share my frugal ways often, but this one surprised even me!

Becoming frugal is not because I am obsessive about saving a planet or saving money. I began living a frugal lifestyle because of a crisis. It was a life changer for all of us and we came to the conclusion we had to make some drastic changes. The changes were planned and incorporated slowly as to not shock the kids but at the same time rapidly because finances were greatly reduced! I was not totally convinced the first few years. Sometimes now I get a bit dismayed as things I could replace or repair immediately in my old life must be replaced or repaired by ingenuity, and for the record, I am not an engineer, electrician, carpenter, or veterinarian. No need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express anymore, one need only to spend time on the Double Nickel to become one that is a Jen of all Trades!

Although the original reasons for us being on this path are very real we have discovered that the path of a simple life is an incredible life. I can never see us changing from learning these ways, walking with a simple step, raising our own foods, storing our foods, and closing the distance between me and the Saviour as life before was more about what I can gain in life. Here on this path it has become more How can I see more of Him as I live a more full life.

Have a wonderful weekend!

I want to add that I am thankful for many bloggers for sharing tips along the way that have helped me out including Rhonda.She has a weekly series on what is on her mind and I confess that living a simple life is on my mind every day.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I usually make turkey soup, which makes a lot, for us with the turkey carcess. This year no turkey and no regrets because this year HAD to be different :o( The dog food was a great use!!!

Susan said...

P.S. LOVE your table setting.

Humble wife said...

Yes Susan this year for you and yours needed time and different surroundings. I am so thankful that Jacque made such lovely arrangements!!