"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, November 19, 2011

One year ago

I was a million miles away in thoughts even though I was here on the farm. My oldest son, who is in the army, was in Afghanistan. It is not an easy thing to think about today, let alone when he was there. Our young men and women are all over the world, far from home, family and loved ones. They are sometimes seeing things that will change them for the rest of their lives.


My son is in the bottom row, middle.

No matter how old my son gets he will always be my baby. As I see him holding the weapon I flash back to him playing with his teddy bear.
July 1989
I could go on and on about how much I cherish this young man and how concerned I was when he was in Afghanistan-because I am a mother of a soldier. Today, I am not thinking of my son in Afghanistan. I am thinking of other sons and daughters in Afghanistan and elsewhere far from home. I think of our soldiers that have come home injured and of the families of those that were killed. I don't think I will ever be able to disconnect my thoughts from the military. You see, they are not the ones that direct the orders on where they go and what they do. They are young. Some of the young men barely have facial hair. This is what I wrote when I went back east in 2009, to take my son some things from home for his barracks in Fort Drum.

Our soldiers that live in the barracks(at least here) are young- under 25, and are so normal. It was like going into my sons rooms at home. The troops have posters up, and TVs, game systems, and well~ guy mess, but the thing that resonates the most with me is the youthfulness. When I went to my son's room his roommate was playing Connect Four(a board game)...and they all were goofy to the fact that Bill's mom came to see him and brought lots of stuff from home. It was like Christmas for everyone around as they helped carry up stuff and then laughed and looked at what I brought. Fourth made brownies for her big brother- which then was shared by all...they loved the home made goodies!


And my eyes well up with tears once again. I love my country. I am thankful that we still have men and women that will put the uniform on. But I want to remind you all that to all the mother's and father's that are as I was last year...

My oldest son age 2 in Heilbronn Germany(just outside Stuttgart)

this is how their son or daughter is to them in their thoughts. May we all keep not only our troops in prayer but also their families.

4 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

Yes, Jen, beautiful post.

Thank you for the reminder.

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Thank you Deanna!

kymber said...

another beautiful post Jen. we must never forget the families who worry and wonder and can't sleep at night when our soldiers are overseas and experiencing things that we don't see in our comfortable lives.

your First was so cute. but then Second, Third and Fourth are just as cute! i want to know your secret, missy!

your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Kymber----my secret? Marry handsome!!


Yes, the soldiers are on my mind constantly. We must keep them in prayer <3