"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

~Applethoughts~

Today I made applesauce to go with dinner and I had a few thoughts while in the kitchen.



I never used to make my own applesauce. In my old life I would just buy applesauce from the grocery. I still buy applesauce just not very often or very much. We have a friend that owns an orchard near us and since meeting him and helping him through a season a few years ago I appreciate apples far more than I ever did and have learned how to can, dry, freeze and bake almost anything with apples.

The apples in the first photo may not have clearly shown how old and shriveled the apples are. I wanted to share that apples that look like this are fine. In my old life before the farm, I most likely would have tossed apples that looked like this. Oh how sad was I? They are just as tasty and while I was peeling the apples I ended up eating much of the peels. I did end up tossing a nice portion of the peels to the chickidoodles and turkey's that have earned the coveted 2011 Reprieve. I store apples for at least 4 months. If the storage room is cool enough I suppose they could last longer, I am not sure as we finish the apples before they go bad. I had 40 lbs in storage and am down to about 5 lbs.

After the apples were peeled I carefully removed the core and diced up the apples.

Make note~there are not many uniform slices. Seems like it improves the taste the less uniform the slices are! I put the slices in my handy dandy pot and put it on the stove top with about a cup of water and 2 tbsp. of sugar and a few pinches of cinnamon. I cooked it on low for a while and used the TI~IITRIS method. In case you are not trained in the culinary arts this stands for taste it~ if it tastes ready it is.What I love about the TI~IITRIS method is that you may need to apply this method often as to be absolutely certain.


While the applesauce was slowly cooking, I was able to cut open the core and salvage the seeds. I love how beautiful the place that houses the seeds looks!

Isn't it amazing that a lovely star is inside each apple? I am a bit of a frugal frau since moving to the farm and I love utilizing every single item in as many ways as possible (remember this post?) Apples are perfect for a person that is living a simple life no matter if one is living this way due to circumstance or choice. The old peelings feed the flock, the apples fill the pot, the seeds fill our plot (of land). These are apples that are organic and grown locally, so we know that they can survive in this climate. So the seeds are my hurry up and wait project. I am looking forward to my fifties and eating, selling, and giving away fruit off of trees that grow from these lovely seeds!

and to my applethoughts:
Both this post and the applesauce I made required me. First I was the cook in making the applesauce-funny because I had all the ingredients to make applesauce yet it didn't make itself. Same with this post. Blogspot is so easy to use, yet the post did not write itself, add the photos or publish it. This blog is mine and in my little corner of the world I am the author. Without me, neither the applesauce nor the post would have happened.

But the beautiful apple, simple and yet incredible in design is without a Designer? Seems kind of silly to believe that everything about the apple in this post needed me, but the apple itself slowly came to be over millions of years from nothing...

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Love this! I too used to think that Apples spoiled or couldn't be eaten after a short amount of time. I have learned that you can actually store most types of apples for a number of months if they are refrigerated.

I love that we're able to now enjoy freshly picked apples allot longer. Every Autumn we head out to a few of our favorite orchards and pay to pick-our-own. It is something we look forward to every year.

Can't wait to see photos of the tree(s) that grow from those tiny seeds someday :o)

Ma said...

This apple post is very timely for me. I went crazy and bought 2 bushels a couple of weeks ago.

We still have about 40 lbs left and they are starting to lose their freshness..I'd better get busy.

Anonymous said...

this is really a neat thought -> "Both this post and the applesauce I made required me"
Even though life can be such a drag, what you wrote is true on so many levels, and it is a good reminder to be engaged in living it.

...I guess my cold was getting me down. Thank you for your post...

LizinNY

kymber said...

what a beautiful post Jennifer! and i remember a time too, when i would have passed by produce as wrinkly-looking as that - PTL that i now know different! i love stars and love stars in apples and on the bottoms of tomatoes. save a couple of those seeds for me wouldjya?

your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Shannon-I am hoping to chronicle the growth so stay tuned!!

Oh Liz- wish I could make you some Chicken noodle soup and make you feel better! Rest and get better!!

Kymber- of course!!!!

Gayle said...

I wish that we had orchards available. Our apples go for $1.99-$2.49 a pound in the store. Much cheaper to buy applesauce and frozen pies than it is to make them. There are some hybrid apple trees that will survive our winters that were developed by a local greenhouse. I would love to plant some, but the fence has to be done first or the moose will eat them!

Humble wife said...

Gayle- I am with you on buying frozen to maintain the finances. Seems like we all have something wherever we are. Interesting how the trees are adapted...it would be neat to read about:)