"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tire Garden on the Farm

On the farm we utilize raised beds for our gardening. Because we work on a low-cost, no-cost agenda we made our raised beds out of old tires. A local tire shop gave us all of our tires. The first year we planted in one tire high planters. It was pretty nice as the tire contains the water which makes water rationing in the desert easy. This year we stacked the tires three high. No need to bend so low and it makes for easy weeding, harvesting and maintaining. Slowly but surely I have been painting the tires, adding a bit of color to the desert. A few years ago we went to farm in Las Cruces which became my inspiration.


We have a smaller garden than we have had in years past but here are a few photos of the garden over the season.


Gourd for making bird feeders, dippers etc.


Chard


First pumpkin


Six yellow squash from one vine!

Left yellow squash next tire tomatoes pumpkin on ground


Zucchini


Yellow Squash on left watermelon on right.

I seem to like simple decor in my garden. Bill brought me this heart log down from the mountains a few months ago. I love it! Of course it matches the theme of the heart shape he made for my garden gate. Maybe the garden is developing a theme!


Small as my garden is~it still is a wonderful and peaceful place!
Have a lovely week!

3 comments:

Pat in Albuquerque said...

Oh, NICE!

Susan said...

Love the heart gate. If you've ever shown that before I missed it.

Humble wife said...

Pat-thank you!

Susan- me too. Seems like everytime Bill goes out and makes something he makes a simple thing for me. I love keeping these items in my place of solace~ my garden.