"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, August 22, 2011

Pattypan to Pattycake to Pattygrill!

My garden is finally giving us a few other items aside from yellow squash and for that we on the farm are happy! The important challenge on desert gardening and harvesting is to use the foods in ways that don't drive the family crazy...say a gumbo over and over, may not be what keeps the gang happy!!


To keep things new I have been working on more recipes. I can only say that 2011 has become the year of Squash!

This is a Tuscan style recipe I found on Cooks dot com but I modified it a bit.

Tuscan Grilled Veggies
Cut up your squash in 2 inch lengths. I used zucchini, Mexican squash, pattypan squash, and crookneck or yellow squash. (the recipe called for eggplant, red onion, and tomato...which I do not have).

The marinade:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup sage leaves minced
1/4 cup rosemary
1 TBSP peppercorns
(recipe added orange rind grated which I omitted and I added New Mexico chili powder)

Then leave in fridge to marinade for three days. So I will update in three days when I toss this on the grill!!

Patty Cake
I found this recipe also on Cooks dot com


3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cups walnut
1 cup patty pan squash grated
1 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs and sugar. Mix well. Add dry ingredients plus squash, nuts, and vanilla. Pour into greased pie pan. Bake at 300F for about 45 min. The recipe says it freezes well.
But I doubt we will have any leftover. THIS IS THE BEST recipe for squash I have tried this month!! I love this recipe and the pattypan squash makes this so amazing!

I will continue my journey of squishing and squashing recipes as our garden is a delight and a blessing to our family. We have frozen, canned, and dried a variety of squash and have squash every meal. I pray we appreciate this as we will not have farm fresh squash in December or January(well at least not summer squash)!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Those squash recipes so good - 'specially that last one - looks like little cookies of some sort. And it's got sugar in it, so I know it'll be good! I'll have to try that one!

reginascottage said...

hi
those looks all wonderful. i think i will it try. thanks for the recipe!!
have a nice week,
love regina