"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, August 21, 2011

County Fair~Part 3 Arts and Crafts

The County Fair has closed its gates on the 2011 year! It was a wonderful fair and it did not rain one time this year. Since we have moved to New Mexico the fair seems to always have one night that a torrential downpour occurs~until 2011!

As we continue on our journey of heading towards simplicity and of self sufficiency we have crafted things that our family has never crafted before. This year I had the theme of thrift and economy as I worked on my craft items. I love that a penny saved really is more than a penny earned. For every dollar you save you have one hundred pennies, for every dollar you earn, you have to deduct what the government takes out-perhaps 30 cents or so.

With that in mind I crafted display boards(out of simple boxes) to present how one can slowly create a good deal of savings for the home.

Everything I entered was made in the past 12 months and for baked or canned items I entered items that I had never made before, or items that I worked on to improve(if I had not received a ribbon in the past). I hope that my sharing my assortment of ribbon awards does not make you think I am a braggart, but one that is sharing that homemakers can be noted for their simple efforts. In addition, by sharing items crafted others can see that perhaps they are not alone on their path to simplicity.



Division 1 Baked Goods

Section A Yeast Bread: Italian Braided Bread
First Place

Section B Quick Bread: Biscuits
Third Place

Section D Unleavened Bread: Flour Tortillas
First Place

Division 2 Food Preservation
Top row- yellow squash, cherry jam
Bottom row-dried oranges, dried yellow squash, carrots
Total ribbons 4 ~three third, one second(oranges). Canned yellow squash did not receive any ribbons.


Division 3 Sewing
Kitchen and Household
Cloth Napkins
First Place Ribbon


Division 3 Sewing Recycled
Potholder made from two pair of jeans, two shirts and an old quilt
Third Place Ribbon

Division 3 Sewing Miscellaneous
Rediscovering the Art of Homemaking
First Place Ribbon


Division 7 Knit and Crochet A 4 a
crochet dish scrubby and washcloth
Second Place Ribbon


Division 8 Handwork
Recycled Tin Cans
First Place Ribbon



Division 9 Handcrafts
Recycled Rice Bag into store tote
Third Place


11 comments:

Susan said...

GREAT job!!! I think it's wonderful that you not only participate in so many things, but you do them all well and you always bring credit and glory to The Lord.

I saw this quote the other day:

"When it is the Lord's work in which we rejoice, we need not be afraid of being too glad." Charles Spurgon

I think this is so true we need not be ashamed to tell our gladness because we know it come from HIM.

HossBoss said...

I don't think you're a braggart at all and I love to see the things you've made. I am starting to sew again after more than 20 years. I'm off to a slow start but am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I would love to learn to make a rag rug too. Someday...

Congratulations on the ribbons, HW. You deserved all of them!

Glenn B said...

We got your rain up my way, it was fairly torrential a few times this evening. Happy to see we kept you dry at the fair!

Ma said...

Congrats! It looks like you put a lot of work into this.

I see you've crafted cloth feminine products. This is something I do too:)

Mrs.Rabe said...

Well done!

I liked your displays - and how you showed the savings you had by using cloth products....

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Susan- that is a great quote!Thank you.

HB-It is so fun to create things. I am glad that you are starting up again...and a rag rug is easy! The name gives an allowance as to how it can look and still be acceptable!!

Glenn- I typed too early! Last night we had our torrential rain! I am very happy as we have not have much in our canyon!

Ma-I did,as I wanted to share how cost effective making things could be. I only spotlighted a few items but for my home it has totaled a good deal of money by creating and repurposing-well you know:)

Deanna-thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I loved the recycled rice bag/store tote! Very cool!!

Congratulations on the ribbons and thanks for sharing!

LizinNY

Humble wife said...

Oh Thank you Liz! I appreciate your kind words.

Anonymous said...

I think of you every time I hang clothes on the line! I want to try one of those store totes. (Hmmm... a neat/practical way to package Christmas gifts...)

Thank you for inspiring me...and I'm sure others feel the same!

LizinNY

Humble wife said...

((Hugs)) Liz...

I actually received a tote a few years ago from a car dealership-which inspired me to cut it apart and make the template. I have feed bags galore as well as cat food bags that I repurpose. It is so so easy!!!

I pray you have many a sunny day to hang your clothes!

Jennifer

debbieo said...

Thanks for the commetn on my blog. I like your bag. Did you iron it to make the side seams so crisp? I thought about tryig to iron mine. Let me know.
I have not seen rice in these types of bags, I will have to be on the look out.
debbieo