"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, August 4, 2011

County Fair andThoughts

The county fair has been a delight for this farm wife. Each year on the farm has been a learning curve with many tests and a good deal of failures. But a failure is not considered something negative here. No, it is a guide to what not to do next time. Over the year I create items or projects for the home that I either have never made before, or I have tweaked and made work for the home. The county fair allows for me to share my efforts and actually is for me likened to a pat on the back.

I am a 21st century American learning the ways of those of a few generations ago. I often am told by others that they do not have time to craft, or can foods, or sew. I didn't either a few years ago. I have been a full-time housewife all of my marriage, but until a few years ago, filled my time with the going to and fro and not really focusing on my home. I am grateful that I have this opportunity to really appreciate the life I have and the skills I can learn, if only I am willing.

This year for the county fair I am entering items with a theme in mind. My theme is economical. In an economy such as this one my projects afford a life with savings by reducing cost or re-purposing items.

In addition we will be entering a few items we have grown in the garden, as well as some items native to New Mexico and the southwest.

What I like about the county fair is that anyone that goes to the craft areas is exposed to possibility by the items on display. In the economic times we live in, where our government is spending more than we bring in, I believe that learning skills of old are not only sound ideas, but most likely things many will have to do soon, in order to get by.

As I think about the county fair, I think about how many times I have said on this blog that I suggest that people should have a food storage as well as learn skills to help one get through a crises. I urge all readers to truly consider this advice. I urge readers to have food and water set aside as well as preparatory items for not only a national disaster, but potentially and economic crisis that our nation has never seen before.

Jennifer

5 comments:

Ma said...

I know what you mean. Preparation is just good common sense no matter what is going on in the world, but I do see it as a much more urgent priority than I used to considering the circumstances.

Are you going to share your fair entries here?

Humble wife said...

Yes Ma- good common sense. Seems like therein may be the problem. Many are not paying attention, nor have their common sense in tune...seems like dulling has happened thanks to overload in technology!

Oh and yes of course I will share my entries. I am slowly working my entries into presentation form...the fair is mid month so I have a few more days to tweak things!

Susan said...

When does the fair take place. I have always enjoyed seeing your entries and your ribbons!!!

I am participating in Alphabet in August. Hoping doing so will get me back into the blogging mode. Drop by and check it out. I did "B" today and "A" yesterday. It is a letter a day, except skip Sunday.

Humble wife said...

Susan..Mid month! I am Fairly busy;) with projects. I am going to swing by and see your alphabet project. It sounds fun!

Sue xx said...

Hi Jennifer...I'm just reading John Seymour's "Forgotten Household Skills" and finding it fascinating. We do need to learn these old ways to make us better rounded people.
xx