"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Treats:updated

Summer cooking on the farm is a simple effort at not increasing the temperature in the house while making a meal. I have my dream stove that we found on Craigs*list for free for the pickup...kind of like this one here(but maybe a bit newer-`1960's**). With this stove I only heat up the small oven on the left side. So little heat yet so effective in easy snacks and meals.


These are called Greek Spinach Melts. I apologize for not remembering who made them, so I could credit them*. They are so easy and so delicious.
I used mini French bread loaf sliced into small thin pieces
1/4 cup Feta cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp dill weed
crumbled bacon
1 cup fresh spinach washed and cut up in small pieces

Mix all the ingredients spread on the roll slices and bake at 400 F for ten or so minutes then serve!

salt to taste


My very own cheese pizza...(love that line in Home Alone)
Lazy I know-but here goes
1 can of self rising biscuits from refrigerator section of store
sauce-I made my own with 1 can tomato sauce-minced garlic and onions Italian seasoning salt and pepper.
Shredded cheese
onions
I flattened all the biscuits and then docked them with a fork, spread the sauce, added the onions then the cheese. So easy so simple.

Oh bake at 400F
Enjoy!


** I think I will take a photo of my fancy smancy Craigs*list stove. I really like it and cannot believe I own such an eclectic functional item!!

Update: Here is the link where I found this recipe. I altered her recipe a bit to make it more tasty for my family and suggest that for every recipe we should do so.

No comments: