"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Squish Squash

My garden has been slow to produce and to be honest not the usual farm garden. I suppose this year has weighed heavier on me than I wish to admit. For some reason my yellow squash has been producing like crazy although we have never had such incredible yields in all the years we have lived in New Mexico.

So the question then becomes~what do we do with so much squash?

Can it- check.
Dry it-check.

Experiment with recipes-check, with some of the recent recipes below! We have a clear winner in taste but I will share all and be ever so thankful that we have an abundance of food to place on the table.

Recipe 1: Baked Yellow Squash


I used the necks of the yellow squash and reserved the full body for another recipe.
3 crushed beef bouillon cubes
3Tbsp minced onions
1/2 stick of butter(minus mint jelly on one edge and toast crumbs)

Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
No after photo...I guess I did not snap the photo. Here yellow squash with minced onions...


Thoughts-not the favorite of the family. Will I make it again? No


Recipe 2: Fried Yellow Squash

I used the large part of the yellow squash reserved from the first recipe.
Flour- a few cups
2 Tbsp New Mexico Chili Powder
Black Pepper
Salt
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 cup of crushed bread crumbs
3 cloves of garlic minced

1 egg and 1 or so cups milk mixed to soak the squash before putting in the flour batter.

Some of the fried squash. I fried them in Extra Virgin Olive Oil~ for those dieting I suppose this is a plus?! For me I wanted the flavor of the Olive Oil.


Thoughts- well fried food is pretty hard to mess up! Truth be told this was a huge hit! I had a hard time not eating all of the fried squash while cooking them. We will make this one again!

Recipe 3 Boiled Squash

This recipe was the easiest to make and its simplicity did not minimize its taste. Wash and cut the squash up put in sauce pan with water and boil for 15 or so minutes. Drain water.

Thoughts- delicious and definitely make again!

Recipe 4: Squash Casserole

3 yellow squash
1/2 onion diced
butter
milk
flour
salt
pepper
paprika
bread crumbs

I made this like scallop style potatoes, layering the squash and onions and butter. I then added hot water to a few tablespoons of flour and added 1/4 cup of milk. I added the spices and poured the liquid over the squash and baked it in the oven at 350 F for about 40 minutes. I sprinkled the bread crumbs on the top then baked it another 5 minutes with the broiler on.

Thoughts-this was another incredible dish! We will make this one again also as it was so tasty.

The boiled squash is in the bowl and the casserole is in the front dish!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

YUM!!! Squash is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Slice squash in even slices.Salt and let drain. Scramble several eggs and add some flour to Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Dip squash in eggs then bread crumbs and fry. Baste casserole w/ favorite marinara sauce. Lay fried squash in sauce, sprinkling parmesan and mozzarella cheeses liberally over layers. Bake for 30mins in 350 oven. Yummy.
june B. from Californy aka Gelsmom

Humble wife said...

Carrie- it is perhaps not one of my favorites but~I am adapting! lol

June- great recipe. I am going to try this one and share it too! thank you!

Michelle said...

My way of cooking squash:

Calabacitas
2 yellow squash
2 zucchini squash
8 oz of corn (can or frozen or fresh)
Diced tomatos 1 cup (c, froz or fresh)
Diced green chilis (to taste)
Dash of chili powder
Dash of cumin
Dash of garlic salt
chopped garlic (to taste)
oil

Slice both squash or cube. Fry until tender. Add corn, tomato, chilis, garlic and seasonings. Cook a couple of minutes (to desired doneness). Eat and enjoy. Yummy

Humble wife said...

Michelle- I am going to try this recipe next! Thanks