"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, July 28, 2011

On the Table


I decided today was my take it easy day and so I worked on some projects around the house. This braided rug I am working on is from some polyester fabric that I bought from a thrift store a few months ago. I bought around 40 yards of the fabric for~~drumroll please~~ 80 cents!! The fabric was neat and clean and most likely bought by someone with grand visions of polyester pantsuits and the likes!

For me, I saw potential seasonal curtains as these were large enough to be added to cotton to make sun blocks for summer over the standard curtains. I have the heavy or dual lined curtains over my cute curtains so the farm family can enjoy living in the desert by reducing the amount of heat that is allowed inside!

I have decided that my career until I die will be one of an innovator. I have realized that I have made it my personal challenge to take something and either change it into something different~or tweak it to make it better or more efficient for me. Why not?

9 comments:

Calidore said...

Love the rug. How are you joining all the strips together? Now you have me curious...lol

Mrs.Rabe said...

Great idea, to have the extra curtains to block out the heat/sun. We have had some hot days here plus humidity and I have been keeping our curtains and blinds closed too.

I love being innovative!

Deanna

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I think you are a wonderful innovator. I love your rug. The colors are some of my favorite. Have a good day and night.connie

Humble wife said...

Calidore- I am going to use a heavy thread and hand sew the braid together. It takes a bit of time to make sure I don't have bumpy rugs! It usually takes me two or three hours to complete the rug, but I have to work this time in from other jobs on the farm...so rugs take a few weeks!! :)

Deanna-It is pretty hot all over isn't it? The double curtains have really changed the temps in my house and I am so glad that I found the fabric!

ps Innovation rocks !

Kate King said...

Don't you love thrift shop finds! We call them "op shops" over here.
Thankyou for commenting on my blog. For a beginning blogger it was such a thrill to find it there.
Once the boys are tucked up in bed I will sit with a cup of tea and enjoy reading yours :)

alison@thisbloominglife said...

A career in innovation is a good thing! Samson and Delilah look just like our Pippin, supervisors extraordinaire. Wishing it was summer here too! Take care and thank you so much for your words of wisdom from the other side of the world.

Humble wife said...

Connie- thank you, and blessings to you and Jim!

Kate- I love the name Opshops...of course as they are opportunities awaiting for someone!

Alison- our pups are Great Pyrenees. They are almost 5 months old and are absolutely delighted with farm life!! I am glad we can circle the globe and connect all over as we are doing while blogging. Changes our views, improves our cooking as we have the best of the world testing and sharing and of course uplifts us if we are down!!

Regina said...

hi jennifer,
thanks for visiting my blog.
your rug looks wonderful,i love the blue colors.
btw. i live in the near from friedberg. lich und gie├čen is also in
the near where i live.
have a wonderful weekend,
regina

Humble wife said...

Regina- such a small world! I loved living in Germany and will cherish the time we spent in Hessen!
Jennifer