"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Numbers Game

Last June my oldest son was 21 and I was 42, and I smiled amazed at the fact that he was half my age.

This June my oldest son is 22 and I am 44, and I am smiling because he is still half my age.

Maybe I can be a politician as I am not really doing anything, yet have been able to manipulate information to make this work out perfectly. I am not lying in the first two sentences. How can this be?

4 comments:

Patricia Mathews said...

Depends on what day in June -- before, or after your birthday?

Hah... I remember running that sort of number sequence as far as I could the night my baby brother was born --- "And I'm 6 and Hildy is 3 and he's zero, and next year I'll be 7 and Hildy will be 4 and Bob will be 1....." In my second year of college, I found out I'd rediscovered something that actually had a name!

Humble wife said...

Pat :0)!!!

Glenn B said...

Just depends on what part of the month you and he were born, otherwise you skipped 43.

Humble wife said...

Glenn- he was born in the beginning of the month. So while I was still 42 he turned 21-half my age. Then he turned 22 the beginning of June and last Friday I turned 44 so once again half my age. Correct like Patricia...just having fun with numbers in NM.