"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tamales Today

A simple Saturday began with me washing off the corn husks for tamales. I washed them, then soaked them in water to make them more pliable.

Then I made the masa...I made masa, with the cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, lard and salt. I forgot to take photos at this point because I needed to prep the tamales.



I then prepared the remainder of the brisket meat I cooked the other day. I added some salsa and let it come to a slow boil then took it off the heat and filled the cornhusks.

Here are the first few as I was preparing the tamales, but I got a bit sidetracked watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...and forgot to take a pre-steaming photo.


Tamales steaming on the stove!
Oh and what goes well with tamales? Spanish rice and salsa! Well I am off to enjoy my Saturday midday meal. Have a lovely weekend!
Jennifer

2 comments:

Tess Pennington said...

You make it look so easy! :)

Humble wife said...

Tess- I think the key is splitting the work. I like to have the meat cooked already then it is easy!! Thank you for stopping by!