"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, April 1, 2011

Simple Life

As I have shared previously, everything is assessed that is here on the farm for its value or purpose. When our clothes wear out, and I can not mend them anymore, I still do not throw them away. I make house rags, farm rags, or braided rope...



Old clothes re-purposed- I cut the clothing into about a 1 inch strips then sew them together, then braid them! Why?
Then measure (for this style) For what?


For rugs. Each one is different! Lainey the cat thinks that I have set up some sort of beds for her to try!
Each one unique and far from perfection!
All because a few years ago, I thought, I wonder if I can make a rug?

So I did, and through trial and error(and a few clothespins to hold the braid)

I did!

I love braided rugs. When we moved to the farm, I tore out all of the carpeting as it was beyond hope. I then painted the sub floor and plan someday to have wood floors throughout. At this point we have one room complete! While I wait, I watch for large area rugs to adorn the floors. I love braided area rugs, and so far have 2 9x12, 1 6x9, and one 8' round braided rug all for the price of antiquing, second hand shopping and patience! As I love the way the braided rugs look I wanted more for every area of the house. To make my farm vision a reality I have had to learn new skills for indoor and out and these new skills make me appreciate my simple life all the more.


4 comments:

Phelan said...

I m still practicing my rug braiding. Your's look great!

Humble wife said...

Thanks Phelan! To be honest sometimes I am hesitant to share photos because of imperfection, but I decided from now on I am going to...as it is a learning curve and everyone needs to know it is ok not to have perfect projects!

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

What a great use of worn out clothing!

I have quilts handed down from my grandmother and mom that contain fabrics I recognize from my childhood... dresses I wore or aprons I remember my mom wearing. My sisters and I each had a doll when we were preschool age and every Christmas my grandmother would make the dolls a new dress from scraps of fabric. She wrapped them individually as a gift to each of us. After they were opened, she would teach us simple stitches to 'decorate' the dresses for the dolls.

Humble wife said...

HB- neat to hear that you that you recognized items from your childhood, as I am sure that the kids recognize their clothes in pot holders, bread rising cloths, rugs, quilts, and small tie bags for produce to store in the fridge.

Amazing story about the dolls, I believe I will borrow that idea for any future grandbabies I get!!