"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, April 23, 2011

"Earth Day"

I have some issues with Earth Day and its agenda. My main issue with Earth Day is something most people would not be able to guess. My issue is not with the day as much as with those professing Christians that are not only on board with saving the planet, but promote it on their blogs and how others can be proactive in saving Earth.

You see a Christian has to be very careful with this line as saving the planet conflicts with several important things that God said. God told man to be fruitful and multiply (Genesis 2:28). The Green Movement, the Earth Movement are in direct conflict and believe me these movements have influenced millions around the planet. (Sterilizing to be green, forced sterilizations Uzbekistan)

God also promises us(even knowing our horrible condition) that there would be a new heaven and a new earth (Revelation 21:1). This is a promise. The outcry of the planet in catastrophic shape and the fear-mongering is something a Christian should not heed. Fear should only be used in the context of: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction(Proverbs 1:7).

I find it alarming that the Earth is considered "Mother Earth," and the UN wants to prepare a
Study on the need to recognize and respect the rights of Mother Earth.
Really? I have a few random thoughts~and for many, I will be told they are not related, but I really wish for thought. If Mother Earth is granted rights, she will be exactly like a woman in the United States, and will be free to choose, which child to abort and which to keep. Who will be the voice of Mother Earth? The UN? The US? China? Many would be troubled by granting this power to the UN and China, but why not the US*? Tricky to allow for the needs of a planet...as who knows? Some voice the rights of a small bait size fish, usurps man~today. Can you imagine what will happen when Mother Earth is free to appoint how many people can live on her, and what measures can be taken to dispose of the unwanted?

By the way, who says that people will be dominant? Most concerning for man, is who will help The Mother determine what is a sustainable number of people on the planet. By the way, these are not crazy speculative notions. Have you ever heard of the Georgia Guidestones?(on Flikr). The Guidestone's has this message on one of the stones:
  1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
  2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
  3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
  4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
  5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
  6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
  7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
  8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
  9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
  10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
I will only comment about #1. That number is half a billion...I wonder, what is the population of the world? A bit under 7 billion. So how will this balance of humanity take place?

My problems are monumental with the Georgia Guidestones, as with Earth Day. God is not considered and man will be the hero in sustainability. Not all men, and for the record not gluttonous Americans. I took the Earth Day Network Footprint Calculator quiz. I am very conservative(I will not say Green, but I could teach many the real meaning of being how to recycle, reduce and reuse. The average person under this movement has no idea how to live this way 24-7) yet, I require 3 earths to sustain my lifestyle. Three! The children that participate in these surveys must feel pathetic, useless, and empowered knowing that they are the villain in the story.

It is hard not to get caught up in the fervor of the movement, and a Christian should be a good steward, so why shouldn't Christians ignore the bad, and celebrate the good? Because we are to avoid the very appearance of evil. We know that the earth is not going to implode, no matter what man does, because God tells us He alone will provide a new planet and this will be on His timetable. We cannot do anything to expedite His plan and there is much proof of biblical people trying to do so to their own angst(think Abraham and Sarah). We also know that the very villain of Mother Earth conflicts with the last and most special of God's creation-man( Genesis 1:26).

What should we do as a Christian? How can we teach our children what the earth and all its inhabitants are for? By opening the bible, it is that simple.

Oh and man is to have dominion over every living thing that moveth upon the earth(Genesis 2:28) and with that verse, I have my pattern for life. I do not desire to align myself with a movement that wishes to drastically reduce the population, nor do I desire to be considered evil for living life. I have hope and will live my life as an example of that hope.

* for the record Americans are well equipped to be the voice of Mother Earth(source)

11 comments:

Jackie said...

Good thoughts, Jennifer. I doubt it was a coincidence that Good Friday and Earth Day fell on the same day this year. Pitiful. I choose to celebrate the Creator over the created.

Anonymous said...

god told man to be fruitfull and multiply..

if so, let the men bear kids, not the women..

Wildflower

Humble wife said...

Jackie-yep good choice!Me too.

Wildflower- God told man(in the reference to mankind) to be fruitful and multiply. He is the Creator and he could have very well done it another way, but He did not. He made women have children.

I personally am overjoyed that I was able to carry my children. To have the wee ones inside me, to flutter, to kick, and to allow me to witness life come forth was incredible. Raising them has not been easy, but life and the design which God established is pretty amazing if we are fortunate enough to experience it.

Mike Martin said...

keep you head the sand Jennifer thousand of war mongering people haters are counting on you see you in hell i hope that you are dressed appropriately

Anonymous said...

is this the god with no name?

our god is called HARIE; whom is your god...?

Wildflower

Humble wife said...

***I decided to post a few of my unusual comments I have received.

Mike-Let's see. I find that many dislike my faith, and consider me the problem when it comes to preservation of the planet. My lifestyle is one of simplicity and green living far beyond the Ed Begleys, the electric cars, and the carbon offsets that are purchased. If that is what aligns folks against me, perhaps it is because they are more of talking than walking the walk. As for hell, I am grieved when I ponder the final fate of many. The Bible is clear on this, and I believe in hell and heaven. I know we all will have an eternal life, some in heaven the others in hell, and therefore would not suggest this to anyone as an option.

By the way, my fear rest in the Lord, not in anything man can do to me.

Wildflower- perhaps you missed that you referenced the scripture of God- the I AM.Your first comment reflected that scripture, and I adequately addressed that. If you do not believe nor accept that-fine.

My God made women have children...you want the men to, yet women still are. Appears as though The Alpha and the Omega and His Creation stand by sheer numbers of women birthing children today. Your god, is like the god that Elijah with the 450 prophets of baal. They pleaded and begged for fire to consume the offering to no avail. Elijah soaked his offering with water...and the Lord consumed his offering(see 1 kings 17:41) I rest in the knowledge that when God speaks I can rely on his word. I do not covet change and embrace what He has done. Being blessed with the opportunity to bear children is incredible. To have been able to do so four times is monumental.

I pray for those that desire to seek the Creator of the Universe, that He is drawing you near...

Humble wife said...

I need to note that the verses in I Kings are 18:17-41.

Pat in Albuquerque said...

God said "multiply - and replenish the Earth" at a time when the earth was empty and needed replenishing. Now, if I were working for someone who said "My pantry is empty; replenish it," I'd know that also meant to stop when it was full.

If my boss was a farmer and said "I lost a lot of cows last year; replenish my herd", would he have meant for me to pack them in so tight they were overgrazing the land? I don't think so!

The thing is, it surely looks like the earth has been replenished, and even stuffed full, to me. And some people are having large families when they have trouble feeding them! I pity them because all the Christian charity in the world seems to be a drop in the bucket for them.

Now, I have my wonderful daughters and I was overjoyed to have them, feed them myself, bring them up, be the proud mama at their weddings, and enjoy my grandchildren. (And my grandnieces and nephew, for that matter!)

But I still think we've actually carried out that commandment long ago.

Humble wife said...

Hi Pat- I appreciate your comment and am pleased to read that you are a proud mother and grandmother and aunt as well as great aunt! We do need more that take pride in their families...

As to replenish the earth or fill the earth- I disagree. I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively in my life, and often am taken aback at the emptiness of the land. Living in NM also reveals much land, low numbers of people. We have much high land, knowledge of irrigation and water tank storage and are able to live in a desert quite well.

In addition in the midwest I am astounded at the spaces between folks. Imagine the mountains of Utah that are incredible with water, game and wide open spaces that are empty.

My point is this the earth even with only a small portion of land is still not filled. Yes, we have overcrowding in cities...and of course poverty. We cannot ever exempt the world of poverty, but I refuse to sit idle and allow a green movement to define quality of life and who lives who dies...when they purchase carbon offsets so they can live at will.

A small amount of land can yield massive returns as a family in California has proven. My farm also bears witness to providence in small packages...by the understanding and willingness to think local remove conglomerates from our food, and simply take back the land.

The land is not overcrowded, our attitudes and needs and wants are. We have silently flipped to this notion that our planet needs less man or we will kill it. If this is the case, who and when will the first folks be removed to save her?

If overcrowding is the case...and the weak need to go or those that require O2 or major health needs, do we dispose of them so as to save a bit of land? Who goes so your children can eat? Or grandchildren? Who defines the right of nurturing or loving? What standard defines abuse to the planet...because all of these are the slope we broached when we legalized national abortion in the US. You see then interpretation came into play...a woman can abort a baby at term for her emotional health.

What is the emotional health of mother earth? Does Bill Gates tell us who is unfit because they are a bit chubby? Brown? White? Gay, A hate crime commiter? Who interprets the needs of Gaia- after Mt St Helens, we were told of how long the land would take to recover-yet it recovered almost immediately. After the Exxon Valdez spill the same naysayers shouted woe-yet recovery was quick.

Overpopulation and crowding are defined differently not only in different nations but by different time periods. When I was a kid the average US home was around 1400 sq ft. Now in smaller family size a larger home is standard.

You see if we by pass the media, the panic crowd and those who think any child, let alone a family with more than 4 kids is a problem...we could find truth. We could appreciate and understand that man is not crowded, and man can feed and sustain himself...

I appreciate your thoughts,
Jennifer

Pat in Albuquerque said...

Water tank storage. That sounds like a necessity of desert life. I have a rain barrel in the back yard and one in the front yard, and if I use water for washing and don't use anything in it that can harm the plants, I'll load some of it into my 2-gallon jugs (that once held cat litter)and put it in the rain barrel.

Here in Albuquerque we're mining the aquifer dry, so I try to conserve the water and use it twice. At least on the mini-lawn in back (extravagant, but I'm going to try to put purslane in there for salad). And on the fruit trees.

Humble wife said...

Pat- yes, we have several means to preserve water. We also have a solar well. For potable gray water there are several neat homemade laundry soaps. I am hoping to post of that soon. I have no grass, but several trees and the garden as well as the animals. We use the animal water every other day to water the trees so we give them cold water from the well. It takes some planning but you can preserve lots.

When it rains here I have buckets lining the house to gather the roof rain water...then all that needs to happen is to cover and store in a dark or shaded area.