"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Break 2011

The most incredible thing about Spring Break seems to be the inability of the chicks to not act in bold or rash ways.

I mean it seems like things that have never been done before will happen on Spring Break. I had to go to campus yesterday to take care of some things and because it was Spring Break was able to park at the library and not have to walk very far.

I took care of what I needed to (about 10 minutes) and headed back to the truck, and I caught a glimpse of a roadrunner, very close to me! I have never seen one so close, and thought, wait a minute...that isn't a roadrunner, it is Blue-one of our best broody hens!!

There I was, on campus, a good distance from home, and a chicken not only came to town with me, but must have had an incredible ride to town as it was so windy yesterday. I tried to catch her, and had some crackers in a plastic container-since I had babysat last weekend but she was a bit skittish. I had to call my Bill. He was driving in town somewhere and he told me he nearly ran a red light because of me telling him to come help, I am trying to catch one of our hens, at the library! Blue was very quick, but with Bill herding her to me and the corner of a wall, I was able to grab her, and the story is not over. I had nothing to put her in and Bill saw my purse. So I dumped the contents out, he put my truck garbage bag (grocery sack) in the bottom of the purse and put her in and zipped it up~yes, in my purse, a chicken.

As the purse is suede and I did give Blue water as I was worried about her, I may have some issues with my purse, but for the readers, I know you need a visual-Campus may never again have such activity during Spring Break, as the Double Nickel Farm family will forever check the back of the truck for wayward or party chicks, hoping to catch a ride to the big city and the chance to paint the town red, no strike that, Blue!

6 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

That is funny!

She wanted to go see the big city! Hopefully she has it all out of her system now!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, but I lauhged so hard. Oh, MY!

Anonymous said...

I loved this. It reminded once of when I was about to board a bus to go to work when the driver said to me "Hey are you taking your cat with you?" and there trying to board with me was my cat. Had to take her home and I was late for work. You have to love them. They all have their own personalities.

Pamela

Marci said...

What a great post. Life on the farm is NEVER laid back. :)

Pat said...

What a great story!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this picture. The look on her face is priceless. My husband laughed so hard when he read this post!

:)

LizinNY