"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Life Of A Frugal Farm Wife

Here is a window to how my life is at the most basic level as a frugal farm wife. This is a sneak peak into frugality so beware as it is contagious (or maybe certifiable)!

My afternoon began as I planned dinner. So I went to the pantry and took out the gallon can of whole peeled tomatoes which cost me around two dollars at the local mega club.
Nice lovely tomatoes, what shall I make today?

First I will peel the label off as the label has several uses. One is as fire starter for the woodstove on a winter morn, but I am working on another decoupage project so I will store it with the other labels until I have enough.
This is a previous project that I did. This is my kitchen pantry. It took about 18 months to save enough labels to decoupage it from floor to ceiling.

Next is the lid. This is a large lid and I save this for odds and ends projects around the farm. It is good for many things. Pictured with the label is the actual # 10 can that the tomatoes came in. Now these are pretty amazing once emptied and cleaned out. You can store anything in these cans and the lids for the #10 cans can be purchased for .25 each here.

Now to the contents. All of the juice in the can are drained and put in a soup pot for a bean rice soup.

Here is the rice which I precooked in the juice, then added some kidney beans.


I had this much of the soup leftover after dinner.

Now to the tomatoes. I usually make an icecream container of salsa. For tonight I stored them in the pickle jar, and will make salsa tomorrow.

Here is a photo from December salsa. We use salsa like many use ketchup. A gallon last about a week unless my oldest is home, then I need to make two gallons a week.

One gallon can of whole peeled tomatoes is much more than food for a frugal farm wife. It provides juice for soup, tomatoes for salsa, labels for a project, and can for storage. When one can really see what is provided in a simple can of food one appreciates that being frugal maximizes a dollar, lessens waste, and increases creativity in craftiness as well as in cooking.

And as you ponder whether I am certifiable or not in my frugality, ponder this~ I evaluate every single item that comes to the farm this way! Every single item!

Jennifer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. It gives me several good ideas. I love frugal living and not wasting anything! Karen in Missouri

Klaus said...

Good for you!

Glenn B said...

Hungry for salsa now.

Humble wife said...

Karen- me too! I am so glad you stopped by!

Klaus-thankyou! Welcome!

Glenn-wish I could share as it is delicious!