"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, February 26, 2011

American History 1967

Amazing photo of Mom as she is given the Silver Star and Purple Heart Medals posthumously awarded to Dad( KIA-Vietnam 8 April 1967) date of photo 2 Aug. 1967. Baby,Jennifer; Children L-R Peter, John, David, Liz, Cathy. (Col. David G Sherrard).

Nearly 44 years has passed since this photo. Today marks one week since mom passed away, and I am looking at this photo in tears thinking of how incredibly strong she was, and she was only 29!

Yours truly is the baby in this photo. The next youngest retired as a Lt. Col. US Army, and there are two that are now grandparents (the twins-Dave and Liz). When I think of my life and what I have been blessed to experience, I thank God, that I grew up in this nation~

As I wait for my oldest son to return from Afghanistan I am still thankful that I am an American!

*For me this photo has always been in the back of my mind. As an adult I realize that our nation has ceremonies like this often, and that another generation will understand my childhood, my adulthood, and I wish I could tell them you are not alone~ we understand.

Jennifer
born 2 months after Dad was killed

5 comments:

Glenn B said...

A sad reason for this photo by a nice family photo regardless. It of course is very special for that but also for another reason. Why? Well, because there is a shot of the elusive and mysterious and very nice Jenn that shows at least 3/4 of her face! we don't often get to see pics of you.

All the best,
Glenn B

Humble wife said...

Awww Glenn!

This is a special photo, therefore I let it slide, as the young mother with her babies to raise alone is a tale that has now been told...and she did a wonderful job.

It is a photo of Mom and her determination, strength, love and character.

But I loved your comment and you made me tear up a bit!!

Thanks so much
Jen

Pam said...

Jen this photo really stirred me. It's a precious post. I can't help but be enamored by the expressions on your brother's little faces here. Such boys! and then of course my thoughts also went to how your mom may have been feeling physically during this meeting.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

What a wonderful photo!

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Wow, your Mom must of been one tough cookie to raise 6 kids alone!