"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, November 8, 2010

Volunteers

This is Second, who is currently a volunteer for a local fire department. He has been on the department since he turned 17, and now is 18 and taking EMT courses to make him as well rounded as possible. He loves the department and is planning on making a career out of service whether it will be in law enforcement or as a fire fighter or both as our local city has the police department cross trained.

This son carries his radio at all times and no matter what hour of the day responds promptly to join the other volunteers that will head to the call. In the past year he has become so reliable, that when he did not respond to a call, several on the department texted him to make sure he was OK. We were in El Paso picking up his brother on one day, and I smiled to realize that Second has crossed from being a boy to a man awhile ago, and for that I am very proud.

One of his co-workers gave Second a poem which I think is pretty special and although many may have read it I think I will share it here anyhow:

Volunteers are unpaid
not because they are worthless
but because
they are priceless.
~author unknown

Son, thank you for your service, this is what makes America the wonderful place that it is. We need not force people to serve as many willingly do so each and every day all across this great land!

7 comments:

Kelle said...

Say, I love that poem and I'm going to share it with my Dh and our whole volunteer fire dept as well as the ambulance crew, if you don't mind.

My Dh serves on both the fire dept. and the ambulance and is a trained EMT basic as well as wildlands fire trained with his redcard and statis of Engine Boss.

Our Ds also volunteered and we'd hoped he'd stay with it but he had a change of heart and moved on to other opportunities. He can return at some point( that is what we're praying for).
Congrats and HUGS to your son for his valued time and service.
Blessings,
Kelle

Humble wife said...

Kelle- of course you can use this poem. Thank you for your amazing volunteer husband and also for your son too, even a little volunteering goes a long way! I have really grown to love the way the volunteers are in every community in this nation~

Mrs.Rabe said...

My dad is a volunteer fire police and president of his local volunteer fire company. He likes to say "professional firefighters get paid to be good, we volunteers are good for nothing!" :)

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

Though he is paid for his service, First voluntarily joined the military to serve his country. Now Second is volunteering in service on the local level. The fact that the two oldest of your four have such a sense of honor and principle speaks worlds about how you raised them. I know the choices and decisions that Third and Fourth will make for their futures will be just as honorable. Your family is a shining example of the values that made this nation great.

: )

Humble wife said...

Mrs. Rabe- oh that makes me smile! I am so grateful for all our volunteers as they are needed and appreciated more than I suspect they know!

HB-You make me blush. I am nothing more than a mother praying each day that she gives enough to arm the children with skills for the rest of their lives. I live by Philippians 4:13 which makes things fairly clear! Bill and I pray to raise up Godly men and women that seek Him first, and the rest will fall in place. (((hugs))) to you and your sweetie.

Jason Welin said...

I'd still love to trade patches with your son and your hubby....

Humble wife said...

Jason:O I completely forgot!! oh no...please send me an email at penofjen(at) yahoo(dot)com