"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

In the Neighborhood

I met someone who lives out near me the other day, that I had never met before. We were discussing how much we enjoy the remote feeling we have and other shared thoughts, when she broke out in laughter.

I asked her why, and she asked me if I knew of the house with the lights on 24-7. I said yes, in fact, one night their lights were off and I missed the turnoff to my road as I use that as location marker. We both laughed and she said they do the same thing. What is really Seinfeld like, is that I have nicknamed that house the Beacon house, as it blinds me as I drive by, and if I look in that direction when it is dark.

Neighbors. Simple quirks that unite us all.


I am still on jury duty so have a great day as I need to head off to the big city(pray for parking spot that needs no parallel parking skills;)

Jennifer

2 comments:

Joanne said...

This was funny to me, thank you for sharing. It reminds me of the 'country directions' we get around here (we moved to small-town MO) ... go down walmart road [not the real name and I still don't know the real name of that road] till you get to the first road that looks like a highway; that will be midway [not the real name]. Take a left and go a ways till you curve around and go over a few hills. You'll see a run down looking house on the left and in the distance on the next hill you'll see two houses that look pretty nice ... you want the one on the left.
Finding a house by an address &/or actual street name seems to be a foreign thing in the country :)

In Christ,
Joanne in MO

Humble wife said...

Joanne, You are so funny too! Yep if we say the name of the road, people get puzzled looks on their faces. Funny how it is easier to navigate by this method!!:)