"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Twenty- One Years Ago Today

I became a mom for the first time. I scanned in a few photos of my baby now a man...to share a bit more of him to blog land. The photos are a bit out of chronological order~First as teen in this photo 13!- today he crosses another milestone.


First last year in single digits...he turned 9!

First fishing trip...not quiet 2

Daddy teaching him everything he needed to know

First snow

First pair of cowboy boots

First birthday


First school photo after all his siblings born- he is 6
First photo where he mastered saluting!
First favorite game- hide~n~seek

First male grandson to carry Abuelito's last name

First last birthday(3rd) as an only child(Second would be born 12 days later)









First car-paid cash!

First photo. First was six weeks early and had a few issues at birth but was fine soon after.


First time in a uniform...mixed up ranking but I loved him in the uniform, as his dad was in the army!


I will be honest with my blog readers...I miss my son. It is not the same when he was here in the states as it is now with him in Afghanistan. Instead of missing him, I will share some things about him...

*If I had him one day later he would have been born on 6-7-89

*He had three names and I was not sure of his official name until I saw the birth certificate. Bill changed up his middle name three ways- I think because Bill was still trying to decide which name he liked best. So First had the middle name of Joseph, Alexander, and Tell. I still have cards with well wishes with the variety of names on them.

*It took us five years to pay him off, as he was a C-Section...and my insurance dropped me when I was admitted at 26 weeks. I was told that I did not inform them that I was high risk.(this is why I am skeptical of all insurance-some day another post)

*We were told I would most likely not have any other children after First was born.

*First would giggle in his sleep from about 8 months on...sometimes I would lay there beside his crib and just listen...and smile.

*First talked in his sleep too...I loved to listen to the conversations he had.

*First was my brave companion on my first international flight(as Bill was already overseas)...so at two years old First comforted his momma---have I mentioned how much I do not like to fly?

*First is a magnificent writer. Someday I look forward to a book dedicated to my husband and I.

*First took his role of big brother very seriously.

*First had his first job at age 12 bagging ice for a local mini mart.

*Since that job, First has always had some sort of a job.

*First loves to read...Dean Koontz and Tom Clancy- thank you!

*First loves chips and salsa. In fact he tells me often of his return and his sitting and reading a book and munching on chips and salsa.

*First loves the Lord.

I could go on and on, as I am his mother! My son is a delight and has made these past 21 years shine. I love him and thank him for being part of our lives.

One final bit of trivia...as of today, my son is exactly half my age!! Woohoo...

3 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

Happy, happy birthday, First!

God's Blessings today, and always!

Thanks for your service!

Jackie said...

Congratulations, Jen. Job well done!

sharon said...

Im sure my family would have much higher self-esteem if I were only half so eloquent