"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Difference

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both,
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as long as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Thou as for the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
But knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

7 comments:

Donna said...

This may well be my favorite poem of all time. Thanks for reminding me.

sharon said...

How did you know that, THAT is one of my favorite pieces of literature ever written? How did you also know that I really need to be reminded of the message in that on a daily basis. I have become VERY tired of trying to fit the mold of those who dont begin to understand what my mold is really like. Sherry

SciFiChick said...

I have always loved that poem. Thanks for sharing! Stop over at my place... I have an award for ya!

~~Deby said...

This is a big favorite of mine...as Christians we do *swim upstream*...or I believe we should (imho)....there is so much truth at the end of this...thanks for the reminder of this work by Robert Frost...
Deby

Humble wife said...

Donna, I am happy to post this and glad that I could remind you!

Sharon:) Throw the mold away!! Stand strong in being who you are as Sunday getaways may never happen otherwise. Then what would short farm wives do?:)

Sci fi I am glad you like the poem and I will be over in a moment!!:)

Deby-yes, Deby upstream and I agree, we need to understand that the difference is good not a bad thing as we do know the end!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I am glad I chose you as my companion in life, without you I would not have found the road less traveled. I am madly in love with you and look forward to many more roads to travel upon with you.

Bill

Humble wife said...

Bill- Well hitch up the fifth wheel and let's go:)!! The road less traveled has been with magnificent company and I could not remember why the other one even looked interesting.
Thanks for sharing the world with me...
your amazing, sweet, charming, adorable, lovely, cutie-pie, honeybun vertically challenged wife...if you read this I would love love love to watch a cary grant movie(Mr Blanding Builds His Dream House...would be fine) while you fall asleep in your chair...you know if Cary Grant is out...With Six You get eggroll is another good one...Doris Day:) of course!!
Thanks for being my ruggedly handsome, smart, fun, romantic, western tall farm Dude...as that is why my life is so grand!