"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dear Mom, Letters from Afghanistan

These messages are from Facebook and through Facebook chat. I am so thankful that we live in times where we can chat with our son who is so far away.

Dear Mom,

With all the prep and hustle to get packed, I seemed to miss the part about pay being once a month! I will be in need of a shave for sure by the time pay is in, as I cannot find my razor. Good thing is that pay will be in soon! I also am looking forward to going to a Bazaar here and buying a blanket and some pillows!

The weather still has me a bit off as it is blazing hot one moment and then it rains the coldest rain I have ever experienced. Oh and sand is a season here. Combine a windy day with sand and you understand why people cover from head to foot.

[on his wall on facebook he wrote]

So here I am...on a beautiful vacation in the wonderful 5 star resorts of Afghanistan...gonna hit up the beaches tomorrow, stop by this lovely little restaurant, and finish the day of with some yoga...

Love you all...
And Happy Birthday Third...(April 7)
Bill

Dear Bill,

I am awaiting news to see when your box arrives. I am so glad that I tucked in cough drops as with the sand this may have been a good thing. I will be sending the emails to all those who will be writing letters to you this evening, and I am very pleased to say that many people wish to keep up with you and write you with news from home!

Tomorrow Third turns 17! Can you believe that? I remember when we brought him home, and you looked up at me and said " I get to have two babies?" This was so cute, because you had already claimed Second as your very own! We are celebrating his birthday on the 13th with a BBQ and paintball activity, where we always go to paintball. He has invited the *crowd* of goofs...

Second had his first callout that was rough. He has been to several fires, and a few rollover accidents, but nothing life and death, until yesterday. I cannot shelter life from you as one need not got too far to witness the realities of speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, and others who may not drive so cautiously. I am glad that he has Dad to talk to(and who understands) so that he can continue on in his work.

Fourth is playing with ringtones as I write this. She has plotted to wake up at 11:59 pm and begin the early birthday celebration for Third. As I know Third will not read this, no secrets are revealed(!!!!lol!!!!).

We all are so pleased to see how you are upbeat on your Facebook wall, as keeping a positive attitude is very important! Like I said on the wall, I wish you truly were at a beach resort enjoying the simple life.

We love you
Dad, Mom, Second, Third and Fourth

ps Your friends on Facebook most likely have been very surprised as I have been tending to your teeny farm on farmville. In fact I have sent gifts to them(which I dont think you have ever done...as they respond in shock!!)I may just may be sending a few gifts to my farmville as I do so for you. I know that you wished for me to bank your money in World of War-which I have...and when I was doing so noted that you have a farm, sigh I may be a junkie!!!

pps...I stole this from your Facebook photos as it cracked me up. Seems like the Mexican candy in the stocking may not have been so tasty!! lol
Here's the comment for this photo:
"Its mexican candy, I swear its good!..."

Thank you for always making me smile
Love Mom

2 comments:

SciFiChick said...

Beautiful! LOL my word verification is ingestem (how good was that candy again???)

Humble wife said...

Sci- lol...on the word verification!!! uhm it was nasty!!!lol