"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, April 9, 2010

Briar Hen?

Outside the barnyard fence wander a few hens and one rooster(Tim). They sleep on the front porch...the hen in the photo has not come to roost on the porch for a few weeks. The kids found her under the mesquite broody. So they added a few other eggs from the nests in the coops. Do you see the cracked eggshell?


Hershey Hen hatched some chicks this morning.

If you click to enlarge this photo, you can see our morning surprise.

Can you say awww...


Here she is poofing up to warn me to leave. I did leave as she has a turkey egg, a duck egg and six more chicken eggs. So far she hatched six wee ones. They are now safely tucked in the house under a heat lamp. Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day!

More photos to follow

4 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

Sweet!

Heidi said...

JEN!!! It is so good to read your blog. What amazingly handsome and beautiful children you have. I love seeing all the pictures. You seem happy and energized about life, which is always good!! Keep up the great writing.

Vickie said...

That is so cool! I'm so jealous - I gotta get me some chickens!

Humble wife said...

Mrs. Rabe- Yes I agree!!

Heidi- Well Hey!!! Life is wonderful and so of course I am energized! ty for the kind words

Vicki- yes a bit Way cool, can I say? Of all the things I have experienced on the farm, the sheer desire for life to continue on has been the most incredible thing EVER!!