"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14 in History

Today is both my mom and my mother-in-law's birthday. It is very neat for them both to have the same 'official' birthday. I say 'official' birthday because it's not my mother-in-law's actual birthday. My mother-in-law, was born in Mexico, and as I understand the story, it took several days for someone to go and have the birth recorded. She was born on the 1st of April, but I enjoy the fact that both mom's share an official birthday.

My mom was the youngest of eight children, and loved every moment. As a child, I loved holidays because many of my aunts and uncles lived nearby and they had lots of kids. My mom's family instilled a huge sense of family in me. The older I get the more I reflect on the time her brothers or sisters came to visit.

I remember game day's and movie nights.(we would watch Quincy ME) Mom made everything seem so exciting. As a mom, I realize that she worked in overdrive to compensate for dad not being there. I have popcorn parties just like mom did, of course we watch Monk instead of Quincy!
My mom and dad on their wedding day(my mother's parents too)

Today is a bittersweet day for my mom though. Forty-three years ago today was when she was told that dad had been killed in Vietnam. Unlike today, where information is rather quick, it took six days for my mom to be told. She describes the six days, saying she felt something was wrong. She used to write dad a letter every day, and on the eighth she said she couldn't put words to paper. So when she saw the two military soldiers, walking up the sidewalk to give her the bad news, she knew. To me it is devastating to think that she had to go through that, as she was pregnant with me when dad was killed.

When I was pregnant with Third, a c-section was set up for the 8th of April, and I broke down in tears. I didn't want to have such joy with such sadness. So I was permitted to have him on the 7th.

My mother-in-law is just as amazing. She had 7 children and worked side by side with my father-in-law building a business in the United States. They immigrated from Mexico in 1967, so my husband was the first born in the U.S. By 2004, my father-in-law sold his business and realized the American dream! My mother-in-law raised strong hard,working sons and daughters. Each of my husbands siblings have gone off to school and become productive members of society. I see in my in-laws something that some Americans seem to take for granted. My mother in law impressed upon the kids the value of education, and all the kids worked hard to acquire an education. Some worked several jobs while going to school.
My in-laws just around the time they married


My mother-in-law is an amazing woman, and although I don't believe in the gift of second sight, she always knew when I was pregnant before I even told anyone, and once before I had told my husband. She called us in Germany(middle of night for us) five months after we had Second saying that she kept dreaming of a baby boy. We said yes, Second, not wanting to share the news about Third, because he was so close, and the pregnancy was rough. But she kept insisting. Well, of course she was right!

My mother-in-law really impressed upon me her love of her son. She truly loves her children, and what a role model for me. For the last several years she has worked two jobs to make her retirement 'comfy'.

I love my mom and mother-in-law very much. Through their strength and perseverance I am here with my husband. Through their examples we are who we are, and have a solid foundation. I am so grateful that I am the daughter of Dee and the daughter-in-law of Silvina.

5 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

What a beautiful testimony of the strength and dignity of these women. May God grant us more women like them!

Happy Birthday to them both!

Humble wife said...

Mrs. Rabe- thank you and I agree~may God grant us more women like them!

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I loved this! It brought tears to my eyes. It brought back many memories from my own childhood. Thank you.

I wanted to come over and let you know that our Great Grand daughter, Sweet Hannah, got to come home from the hospital this past Sunday. She weighed a whopping 4pounds and 9 ounces. She had been in the hospital since birth over two months before when she was born early. She weigh 2pounds and seven ounces when she was born. God took such great care of her, He provided for her every need. She had none of the problems that so many others do that were born weighing just that much and so early. We are so thankful and I wanted to share that joy with you, dear Jen. ♥♥love you, connie

Humble wife said...

Connie! What a blessing that all is well and that Hannah is home! I recall Fourth as a preemie born ten weeks early and totally understnad the raw emotions that the hospitalization causes. I am so happy you visited and love you too Connie, hugs to your sweetie and to your newest great grandbaby!!(((hugs))))from Bill and I!

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

What a sweet post, Jen. Such a tribute to both your families and a blessing to love of family to your own brood. You always leave me feeling inspired.