"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sometimes I Dream Apples

Yep, I do. I dream about Cameo's(a type of apple I had never heard of) red delicious, gala, Fuji and golden delicious. I have never eaten so many different types of apples all in one day(perk of packing apples!)

The yellow ones are still my favorites. Today we packed 1800 pounds of the yellow. I lost count of how many apples the kids and I have packed. In today's lingo I will guess Trillions!

The orchard that we worked at is a small family run business and so ingenuity was the most important thing. Where one could save money without compromising the product it was done...such as recycling banana boxes to pack the apples in to---

When we began the boxes behind Third were so many...more than in the picture. We had several refills of boxes, and even had to make boxes with a pretty neat(but old stapler for boxes). On average we emptied 4 bins in two hours- carefully so not to bruise the apples. We worked three days a week, two hours a day for several weeks!

Each bin has 900 pounds of apples. We sorted by hand or packed the apples on a machine that sized the apples. I believe that the three teens and I did 90% of the work this year. For that I am proud, tired, and dream apples. I cannot say that I will be sad to not pack apples anymore, as it was hard work. But it was wonderful at the same time and I had such fun with the kids!

Tonight I hope to dream of a little party tomorrow night. One where the kids and Bill and I celebrate a wonderful harvest season. I think I will serve apple chutney, applesauce, apple butter, dried apples and apple pie- boy maybe I don't just dream apples, but live them too!
Jennifer

5 comments:

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

What wonderful memories you're building for yourself and your kids! Don't forget baked apples for your party tonight! LOL

Donna said...

Oh, this takes me back to all those autumns I worked at the local orchard! My co-workers were amazed at how many apples I could eat in a day. One woman was always asking me, "Don't you get diarrhea from all those apples?"

Mrs.Rabe said...

What a neat experience for you all!

I bought cameos at our local orchard this year. They were good!

Kymber said...

oh i can't wait to hear how the harvest party goes - and i demand pics of what you serve!

you and your kids did some pretty amazing work this year Jen! i am proud of y'all too!

have a great time celebrating and remember that some of us won't be there in person to party - but we will definitely be there in spirit! eat a piece of apple pie for me too!

Anonymous said...

Your kids sure know the value of work......you have equipped them for a lifetime!

And such ingenuity!!

Bet the dreams tired you out!!

(((HUGS)))

Hope the apple money helps pay for your dream!! <3