"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apples~Apples ~Apples

It has been a month almost since I have posted! Well I have been a bit busy, seeing RED- and yellow too, as the kids and I have been working at a local orchard boxing apples. Yes the box is a banana box, as the orchard is a small family run business that salvages produce boxes to box up the apples.

This has been hard, physical labor yet it has been strangely rewarding. Many of us never consider the amount of manual labor that goes into the items we have in our homes. I have had my eyes opened to what paid by the work means, and how hard and fast you will work when you need to!

The below pictures are of my sons and one of their friends~ Fourth and I went and worked just as hard- I just snapped pics of the men!
JS back left, Second back right, Third with his back to us!!

Third and JS finishing this box

Lovely yummy apples!

Second hauling a load that we boxed to a fridge area.

I could not post and not include Fourth- here she is in the back of the van in her 3-D glasses that she got when she went to a movie a few weeks ago!!

While enjoying your apples this autumn season, pause a moment and smile, as just perhaps one of the Double Nickel Gang sorted and sent it on its way to you!!

Thank you all for such kind messages and emails! I love that I have such wonderful friends all over the globe!
Jennifer

5 comments:

Susan said...

Glad you posted. I wondered what was going on with you and yours.
Susan

~~Deby said...

I am sure it is hard work..as a lover of apples...I thank you and all the people that help bring them to where they need to be...
love and thanks to you and yours,
deby

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back! I was worried!!

Liz in NY

laurie said...

So glad your good! I've been wondering about you! I know life is crazy, but I was *starting* to get concerned! I was so happy when I saw the new pic! : )

Take care! My kids want to pick apples soon, but they can't imagine all that!

Donna said...

I spent many autumns working in a local apple shed grading apples. That orchard has now switched to peaches, since apples aren't a very reliable crop in Missouri; too many variables. One thing I really miss about working there was that I could buy cider apples for practically nothing; they were just fine for making applesauce or apple butter, or even for pies. I simply had to cut out the rotten or bruised spots.