"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Today in History...

August 27, 1988 had an extremely important impact in world history.

A young woman married a young man. Not different than what happens all around the world except for one very little fact. That young woman was me.

Today is my anniversary. I married and felt a little grief on my wedding day. I was afraid to walk down the aisle without my dad. But I did, and here I am today.

I am the person I am due to my husband. He stood beside me, supported me, and loved me even at the times I may not have been too lovable. He watched me go to the hospital for months on end for problem pregnancies. In fact we had only been married eight months when I went in the hospital with First. I guess we "dated" when he would get off from work and come over to the hospital to sit with me. I was frightened to be in the hospital, so far from my family, and so young.

I would have never guessed that my husband and I would travel the world. I never could have foreseen traveling around Europe or Mexico, let alone about 35 states. Through our marriage we have had hardships, and trials, and joys and life. We brought 4 beautiful children into the world. Four pregnancies that nearly killed me. After the delivery of the fourth baby, he had to wait in the waiting room wondering if his young wife would live or die. My heart stopped on the delivery table, and I nearly died. He sat and prayed and felt comfort. I, of course, knew nothing of this. But I had been married to him for awhile, and I had come to know his upbeat attitude. Nothing ever gets Bill down.

We decided together that I would stay home with the children, while he supported the family. He never has come home ready to relax. He comes home rolls up his sleeves and tackles the kids. He comes home and gives me a break. You see, with the kids home 24-7, I do get a little tired. Bill knows this and steps in.

My husband has been my partner in all I do. I have seen him save a 15 year old girl's life after she was run over by a train. I saw the blood on his hands, listened to her screams from yards away, all the while he was holding her comforting her, and performing life saving measures on her.

I have cried with my husband when the doctors told us that our daughter would not survive the night, yet she is still here.

I have stood united with him in parenting. We are the parents. We are to set the example. We are to show the children how to be married.

I almost lost you too. I sit here weeping thinking of that night. I could not lose you. You are my life. I must say that that day nearly tore me apart. Driving to the accident scene with Darcy, so I could say goodbye was so hard. I thought you were dead, and I had to tell you one last time how much I loved you.Then as Darcy was taking me to you they had life and started transport. I absolutely had to be with you, so I was taken to the high school football field to wait with you until flight arrived. The weather was not agreeable so the ambulance set off to meet flight, and I sat in the ambulance with you. We traveled nearly 80 miles all the while awaiting the weather to clear so flight for life could go out. Finally 20 miles from Las Vegas, you gave me hope. The radio traffic had the captain ask where your weapon was, and as you were and always will be a cop, you responded. Groggy but clear, you told us to tell the captain where the weapon was...and I was able to calm down. I thank God for this extra time. We must never forget how precious we are to each other.

I guess I am rambling, so I will close with a few thoughts. It is a good thing to still be in love with your husband...And Bill I am ever so in love with you! It is a good thing that you still can make me blush, in fact when I see you my heart still flips. Do not ever forget that I love you.
I am sharing with all my readers, my blog friends and the world, that I am more in love with you today than 21* years ago. I can not imagine life without you, but I know that someday we shall part. I am so thankful that I know where we are headed.

I love that you are the father of my children
I love that you have set such an honorable example to the boys on how to be real men
I love that you are such an incredible cook(although it does show for the world on me)
I love that you sing in the shower
I love your smirk, it really does give you away
I love the rules you have for Monopoly...kind of!
I love that we tried when the kids were little to out fake who was asleep...I am sorry that it is my specialty!
I love that you have taken the time to share with each child some thing each and every day.
I love that you were patient with me and my cooking skills, I know in the beginning it was blah
I love that you will listen to every thing I have to say
I love that you have given me the world
I love that you have given me your heart
I love that you call me sexy...and the young kids don't get it!
I love that you love short
I love that when I see something neat, that I can't wait until I share it with you
I love that you do not need perfection
I love the fact that you love me.

I could never have imagined the life that you have given me. I stand in awe of you, I am in love with you. I am so happy that tall and short are great balances. Thank you so much for working with me so that we could have such a great marriage. May we share another 50!

I love forever my dear sweet best friend!
Jennifer

* date changed to reflect 21 years!
I wrote this post in 2007 and find that I cannot even come close to expressing myself any better. Happy Anniversary Bill!

10 comments:

jAne said...

lovely lovely lovely tribute to your marriage and especially your dear hubby.

hApPy aNniVErSarY!

jAne
tickleberry farm

Anonymous said...

I love you

Humble wife said...

Jane- Well thank you! The hubby makes it easy to write such words, I promise!

Anonymous!?!?!? You cannot hide from me--- I lub hugh too!!
Red:)

Felinae said...

Jen, how very beautiful.

Happy Anniversary! may you celebrate many more.

Hugs~Felinae~

Anonymous said...

(Belated) Happy Anniversary! :)

Liz in NY

Kymber said...

Jennifer...the tears of joy and understanding and happiness for you and yours trickle down my cheeks right now and i give Thanks to the Lord for You to have found Bill, for Bill to have found You, for the Love that you have and are so willing to share, and for the amazing Children that you brought in this World...

and i am happy that the world is still full of such beautiful miracles!

Thank you for sharing miracles and beautiful stories that touch our hearts and souls and fill us with remembrances that Life is Good...

Thank you so much my Friend!

Glenn Bartley said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Jungle Mom said...

Beautiful!

Pat said...

Jen, have missed you---life has kept me really busy getting #4 off to college and also working all the while as hard as we can to help supplement our income her!!

I read this post with teary eyes,,,

You have such a way with words!!

Blessings to you and Bill as you serve together...may God give you the grace to face every trial or joy together!!

Thanks for sharing such an intimate story...

You are blessed!!

Talk to you soon!

Humble wife said...

Thank you all for your kind wishes!

Pat I am so glad to hear about #4 off to school! Life gets busy, I know!!!!