"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, August 17, 2009

Slowing Down After the Fair and...

Finally the busy-ness of the summer has lulled, and we on the Double Nickel Farm are relaxing. Now that I have a moment I thought I would stop in for an update.

High School Musical was put on by our community theater(The Flickinger Center- Alamogordo NM) and Third had a part in the play. It had its final showing yesterday at 2:00pm...since May he has had four practices a week(4 hours each)and Saturdays were set building(9-4). Second and Fourth were backstage help and so the kids were gone and busy so much. Now you can all understand why the trip back east was a solo trip made by me! No one else had any time to get away!

We also entered many items in the local county fair. This was not as hectic as it sounds, as we save items that we have made over the past 12 months to put in the Home Ec division, and the garden items we picked the morning we entered. Only the baking was a bit frenzied as we all needed the oven at once!

Then I was a volunteer over a position in the fair. It was time consuming but very interesting and I had an opportunity to interact with children and adults alike! I met people from all over the state and some from Texas and Mexico too. Having this opportunity to participate behind the scenes in such an undertaking was exciting for this farmer's wife!

Now that the days are back to the good old farm life, we need to catch up on house work(as I have been out of house since Wednesday-lol) paint some barns, continue on the fencing repairs, and general farm maintenance that is never ending.

Here are some pictures of things at the fair:
I loved this pinata...how cute is Tom Turkey!

This pillow caught my eye too!

This K-Nex project was so detailed!

I loved this, as it is a braided rug from ties that come from haybales!! Pretty clever isn't it?

This was my favorite entry...it is made with wood, the velvet and then the runners had metal work on it. If I were judge I would have selected this as a Grand Champion!
I thank you all for stopping by,
Jennifer

4 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

It looks like a miniature set up! I thought it was dollhouse furniture at first, with mini fair items and ribbons!

Susan said...

Love the sleigh bed or buggy.
Susan

Glenn Bartley said...

Sounds like you all had fun, and from the below post it looks like you did one heck of a job winning ribbons! good for you.

All the best,
GB

Pam said...

I loved these photos! The rug reminds me of some my granny made out of plastic bags!