"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Home Town

Every town has its own unique flair. I love my hometown and to be honest, I could not imagine living anywhere else. I had to go in town today and thought I would give my readers a peek of things that I enjoy.

Caliche's is a business that is pretty much only in Arizona and New Mexico, and the frozen custard is a huge hit with my family. This is a throwback to a more simple era, as it only has a walk-up window, and you eat in your car or outside on the benches.

I love the charm of the building. Do you see the benches?

As we hear more and more about bad times, we must remember that simple outings can make all the difference for everyone. First you support local businesses, and second your family can spend little and take in a lovely ambiance. Memories are more than flash. Memories are about family spending time together and cherishing the time we are given.

So think about your home town and think about reinventing what is important! Plan fun outings that cost little or nothing for the children and yourself. I shared awhile ago about stay-cations. Consider your hometown a place to have a stay-cation. Perhaps a fun summer challenge would be to try a different ice cream shop each week and critique each business!

I am going to share more about my hometown in the upcoming months, as I hope to inspire you to look for wonderful things in your hometown!By the way, how you view your hometown, may be totally influenced by the company you keep. The above photo is most certainly why I love life and my hometown so much!

4 comments:

jAne said...

The first place I think of in my hometown is the town park. It's beautiful, shaded and boasts a lake, swans, ducks, walking paths, picnic tables, etc. During the summer months (and beyond) we pack supper and take it to the park. There's an added blessing in doing that, namely our daughter eating with us right after she's done with her shift. :o)

Staycations. Yep. Love 'em.

jAne at tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com

Kymber said...

that's a pretty hot-looking "date" for the afternoon - yer lucky he's taken!!!

and thanks for a peak at yer hometown...it is very lovelly!

Pam said...

Neat idea - we have an old ice cream shop in Tampa called Bo's. This post of yours made me want to visit it again! Can't wait to learn more about your town!

How is your Bill's pain? It clenched my heart to see his walking stick. Give him a hug for me ok?

Humble wife said...

Jane- oh the park sounds wonderful, especially with your daughter!! Staycations are fun!!

Kymber- well I am most certainly biased!! Thanks for saying so!

Pam- Oh go and visit, every summer deserves at least one outing to an ice cream shop! Hug was delivered this am!!