"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Living the Simple Life Tips

Tip 1: Low Cost simple recipe:
Simple Soup
1 can tomato sauce(8 oz)
1 bag fideo(7 0z)
2 cloves garlic
1 onion cut in rings
1 TBS olive oil

Saute the onion and the fideo in the olive oil until each are light brown.
Add the can of tomato sauce and 6 equal cans filled with water.
Add garlic cloves.

Cook on medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Remove garlic cloves.

Serve in soup bowls, and squeeze fresh lime juice in and season with salt and pepper.

This was a popular meal that my mother-in-law made in the cold months. This recipe is extremely cost effective with the noodles costing $.25, the tomato sauce $.20, and the garlic and onion under $.25, totaling less than $.75 a family of five can eat.

As with my mother-in-law, I serve beans of some sort nearly every meal, and in addition we have tortillas to dip in the soup or to roll up with beans.

Tip 2: Home remedy for Dry Hair
Whole Egg Shampoo

Beat two eggs until frothy and massage well into scalp. Leave on for a few minutes and rinse off with warm water(hot water will cause the eggs to congeal.) To cut the film left by a real egg shampoo add 2-3 tbsp. vinegar to the rinse water if your hair is dark; if your hair is fair add the juice of half of a lemon.
Cost for eggs: for me free
(Back to Basics Readers Digest)

Tip 3: Cleaners around the house

I have three main cleaners that I use to clean the home.
Baking soda- that I use to sprinkle on the rugs before I vacuum. I use in the fridge and freezer to absorb any odors. I use this as an abrasive mix with vinegar to scrub the tub and shower.
Vinegar- I use this to clean the mirrors and the windows. I add 1/4 cup to every load of clothes that I wash, as it removes static-there is no odor.
Lemon Juice-I use this in the mop water...1/2 a lemon per bucket...With the squeezed lemons I save in a bowl of water to clean the microwave(here is a post I wrote about citrus uses) I use the old lemons to rub the sink out as it gives the sink a shine.
Cost for cleaners:
vinegar $1.97 per gallon(last a long time)
Baking soda $.40 a box(last a long time)
Lemon juice $ 1.49 a bottle or 20 lemons for $1.00


There is no need to spend a lot of money to eat, care for yourself, or clean. I am sharing tips that I personally use so that perhaps you too can save money, while simplifying your life.
Jennifer

10 comments:

Jungle Mom said...

Great tips!

jAne said...

Oh my, awesome suggestions! I've gotta jet but will be back to read this again and soak it in and put it into practice. Back soon...

Humble wife said...

Rita- Hi, yes the tips help me:)

Lady Jane- well take care of business...see ya soon!

jAne said...

I'd never heard of fideo until I clicked on the Wiki link and saw it was a form of coiled vermicelli. Ohhhh. ok. :o) 25 cents for 7oz where you are? wow. That's a great price. A mite bit higher here. The recipe intrigues me and I'm printing it out to try. Thank you!

Love the tips for vinegar and baking soda usage.

Tortillas ~ do you make your own? I just recently learned how and could kick myself for not trying it sooner, not only because it's a huge $ savings, but for the taste! Our torts cook up so delicious and we know what's in them! No preservatives!!!

~~Deby said...

These are great ....
deby

Susan said...

Great tips, Jen. I will for sure be making that soup. We love tomato soup anyway and with the added noodles Yum!
Susan

Humble wife said...

Jane-we call the soup fideo(which is the name of the noodle)...and we buy La Moderna noodles from the local Wal*mart. Perhaps you do not have these not being close to the border?? Our local grocery also has many products made in Mexico as we are so close to the border.

As to the tortillas...we make them and sometimes buy them as we have a tortilla factory in town!

Deby-:o)

Susan- yes it is yummy, and it is great when you feel under the weather...garlic and onions!!

Joy said...

Love the picture of Shawn and Gus in the side bar. Big paws. Think they'll be big dogs?

Homemade household cleaners are great if you have a good recipes and know when and where to use what. I've had better results with them than I have with commercially made cleaners (except for when cleaning mineral deposits). One of the things on my To Do List for today was to replenish all of the household cleaners. Didn't have to go to the store. I simply took a few steps into my kitchen. Much easier and much more fun!

I hope you continue posting your Living the Simple Life Tips!

jan said...

Hi Jen-
these are great tips! Thanks for posting.
I also went to your post from April 10, 2008 to see how you use citrus. I love the idea of getting
away from chemicals! Can you tell me how much water you use with the O.J. for your hairspray?
thanks!
Judy

Humble wife said...

Joy- that was the best picture of the dogs, even though Gus has his eyes closed. I think that they may get big...but it is hit or miss with mutts:)

With the mineral deposits(as NM is famous...we do use Borax with vinegar. It works wonderful>

Judy- I fill the remainder of the bottle leaving a little headspace...:)