"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, February 13, 2009

Rice is Nice

Rice is a wonderful food to have in your storage because it is pretty inexpensive and versatile enough to be served at each meal.

For example here is a daily menu:

Breakfast: arroz con leche
toast

Lunch: chicken with rice soup

Dinner: burritos
beans
Spanish rice
salsa
shredded cabbage

Storing rice is as easy as washing out a food safe plastic bucket and filling it with the rice. I am fortunate that I have a restaurant in my community that gives me the 4 gallon buckets that contain frozen strawberries. The buckets stack on top eachother neatly.

According to this post on food storage goals links that I provided, a family of five should store 250lbs of rice for one year. I went to Sam's Club and bought 50lbs of rice for $22.00.

Once again I am writing post such as this to share that food storage is nothing more than having food in abundance around that you can use on a daily basis.

Other easy uses of rice: you can add 1/4-1/2 cup of rice to ground beef, and then make meatballs that we add to Albonidigas soup.

Add 1/4-1/2 cup of rice to ground beef to make your meatloaf. It stretches the meat and is yummy.

Rice can be added to any soup that you make. It can be served with kikimon. It can be served like a baked potato with butter, salt and pepper.

Please take an extra moment in your grocery shopping to buy something for your food storage.
Jennifer

9 comments:

Susan said...

I agree with you. Rice is a very good staple and stores well. In fact I am fixing Chicken Chow Mein tonight, servered over hot steaming rice. Yummy!!!
Susan

Humble wife said...

Susan-yummy for sure!

~~Deby said...

You are sure right about RICE--we use brown rice...you can also mix it with refried beans...equal parts--throw in with ANY kind of soup or broth--do you know how long it lasts? Forever? Can it get bugs in it???
Deby

Pat said...

Here in Florida, you can get bugs in the rice if it is not air tite!!

Also, in the south, we have rice and gravy and rice and black eyed peas!!

Also, I make chocolate rice(just to cocoas as it is boiling!) for my children on a cold day (my mom did that for the eight of us---rice was a staple), and my girls and I like white rice with brown sugar and butter for dessert!!

Donna said...

We eat lots of beans and lots of rice, both brown and white. If I buy large quantities of rice, I keep it in the deep freeze.

Ace said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Humble wife said...

Oops I coughed and published all comments therefore I deleted a comment that a reader ask me to keep private:)

Forgive me, as I am crossing into a coughing, sorethroat bug...ugg.
Jennifer

Mama Hen said...

We use rice a lot, but I have never thought about it with meatloaf. Silly quetstion, but do you cook the rice first before you add it to the meat? We usually use brown rice if that makes any difference.

Humble wife said...

Mama Hen- mix it uncooked, either white or brown.
Jennifer