"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Food Storage Preparation

In order to start storing food for your family you will need create a menu of meals that your family eats on a regular basis. It will do you no good to buy bulk items that your family doesn't eat.

I have 2-two week rotating menus, and that is what I use as a basis for my food storage. One thing that you will need to come to grips with is this: nearly half of all the food you buy ends up as food waste. This was shocking to me, in fact I refused to believe that this was the case for my family, but sadly it was true(a few years ago- not anymore).

Your menu needs to incorporate leftovers or make meals that have less, and serve a dessert after dinner. We seem to have stopped the after dinner dessert due to the constant grazing most Americans partake in daily.

My food storage goals may be different than yours, but a good place to start is having two weeks storage(that includes water). Another important thing about storing food is the need to rotate items.

Backwoods Home food storage for $10.00 a week.

Food Storage Calculator(this is on a Mormon-Latter Day website...The Mormon church has been a long in their food storage goals. The church advises their members to save one years worth of storage. The link is a basis, as taking in your needs over rides the chart.)

* I am not supporting any other content on the above links aside from the food storage. *
Jennifer

4 comments:

Susan said...

Great and very timely post.
Susan

laurie said...

After listening to recent news, it seems like were in a race against food inflation before it hits.

Mama Hen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all your animals. We are hoping to get goats soon, but first we have to save for the fenciing. I'll be back to visit.

Humble wife said...

Susan-I sure pray the readers understand.

Laurie-I am sure troubling times are ahead.

Mama Hen-our first fencing came from freecycle.