"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, February 20, 2009

Down To Earth Books

The fires in Australia have been terrible and the blogger I read Down---to---Earth has shared a link letting us know that it is not always money that makes a difference. This blog gives the details of an avid teen reader who lost all his books. She is trying to give him hope by making him a new book collection from people all over the world. How about checking out the list and seeing if YOU have a book that you could mail to him.

As I think of how the families lost everything so quickly I am reminded that sometimes even the best preparation is for no gain.

Since I read the list of books I was inspired to think of how much reading he will be doing over the next several years. While I ponder how incredible this book gift will be to him, I am overcome with emotion thinking of the parents and the generosity that they will feel from all over the world.

As I write I am thinking about the books that have made a difference to me over the years.

First the Bible, but honestly until I was 30 it was more for show, I could not have told you who Esther was or Paul. Now I am friends with so many in the bible. I walk the paths that they have because I did not reflect on the lessons that they learned. I have become eternal and looking forward instead of the past. I am lightened in my step as I am covered by the blood.

2) My 1963 Betty Crocker cookbook. I bought this at a thrift store years ago and it has become another friend. You can take your fingers through the pages and follow a young woman teach herself to cook. Betty and I have spent many hours in the kitchen.

3) The Complete works of Mark Twain. I confess my mind gets the stories he weaves. I see the moral of the stories he shares and I love that the dialog is timeless.

4) Back to Basics. My sister Cathy gave Bill and I this book in the mid nineties. It is filled with homesteading information and how silly that my life turned out the way it is, as I have read and re-read the book many many times.

5) History books- I have so many, but I prefer the older books as the revisionist history is recreating something that is not true.

6) Country Wisdom and Know How- this is a compiling of the Storey pamphlets that Lehman's sells. Fantastic book!!! I cannot give it enough praise.

7) Strong's Concordance- this has been so great to cross reference words in the bible. I can study topics and people thanks to this.

8) Webster's 1828 dictionary. Since so many words have lost their meaning many people believe that what words mean today...have always been. That is not the case. I also suggest a current dictionary...to cross reference. The word I can think of as an example is gay...it most certainly means something way different than when in the 1940's.

9) My blue book for canning. It is under ten dollars but well worth it, mine is dog eared and stained but a gem!

10) My family's writings over our marriage. I saved every bit of correspondence we have received from family, and all that the children have written or that Bill and I have written. It is a written story of those around us, and our lives. Someday I would like to put it together as a book with stories wove around the letters...and photos. I did not do this in the beginning to write a book, as who looks ahead as a young person? I just remember that my mother cherished the letters that she and my father wrote while he was in Vietnam. Neither knew that he would be killed. They were just young parents of 5 pregnant with their sixth child(me) and wrote of their days and experiences as if they were sitting on the couch next to each other.

I have never read these letters although I pray that some day I am given a copy. I know that it would impact me even more so as the time passes.
Jennifer

7 comments:

Frogdancer said...

Thank you for linking to my blog to let others know about the book drive for Jarryd. It's amazing to me how caring and lovely the blogging world is.... when my sister sneers at blogging I just smile and think "You really have no idea....."
This will really confirm his faith in human nature. Thanks again.

Humble wife said...

Frog Dancer you are most welcome!

Rhonda Jean said...

Thank you, Humble Wife. I really appreciate your kindness.

Donna said...

I learned to cook out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook in the early '60's. I've worn several of them out and found the identical editions on Ebay, used, and bought them! I also buy each new edition that comes out. It's really the only thing I can say I collect.

Humble wife said...

Rhonda Jean- You are welcome.

Donna-I have several older cookbooks...so I guess I 'collect' cookbooks too!

Susan said...

Books have always been like "friends" to me and I cherish mine. I am very particular about the type of reading I do.
Susan

Humble wife said...

Susan - as a younger woman I was not worried about what I read. Now I am extremely careful of everything that I read.