"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Just Do It

This is a challenge to those apprehensive bread makers. Just do it! I had only made bread once or twice over the years, and secretly prayed I would someday have a bread maker. I am so glad that I didn't because it would sit next to all the other gadgets ...and never be used.

I began this journey of bread-making by making pizza crust, yes, pizza crust! Here is the simple recipe for you to try.

Ingredients:
Part 1:

1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup hot water(I run the tap for a minute or so...must not be super hot nor lukewarm)

First blend the sugar and yeast, then add the water, stir with a fork, and let rise. If it does not bubble up and make a mini dome then the yeast is dead, throw it out and start again. Once you mix it and it begins to foam, bubble, and froth start on the next step.

Part 2:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Mix together...wait until the froth bowl of yeast mixture is ready(about 5 minutes!) Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mix. If it is a bit dry add a bit of water. I usually have a cup of hot water by me, and if it is dry I dip my hand in the water as a little bit goes a long way. I then begin the kneading process on the table which I lightly flour. Scary word, kneading, that means take the outer part of the dough and fold to the center and use your heal of your hand to work it. I do this for about 5-8 minutes. Then I lightly grease the bowl that I had the flour mixture in and put the dough in it, cover it and let rise on the window ledge. Once it doubles in size(here in NM sun it takes about 10 minutes), I put the dough on a greased pizza sheet and pad it and stretch it to the edges of the pan.

I then take a fork and poke holes(dock it) so the pizza crust will not rise but stay crust shaped!

Pizza sauce that we make:
1 can tomato sauce
shake of Italian seasoning
garlic
onion minced
pinch of cayenne pepper(we live in NM:)

~~spread sauce on crust, add cheese and favorite toppings and YUMMY, it takes about ten minutes to cook.

Once I did this for nearly a year, I realized that making bread did not scare me so much anymore. I ventured into making bread using a 1963 Betty Crocker cookbook. I use the best ever white bread recipe. It is easier than I thought, and like with the pizza dough I have begun experimenting with new ingredients.

Before the farm, I was your typical every day suburbs woman. I would buy Schwan's frozen bread dough to let rise and cook and never made hardly anything from scratch. If I can learn to bake so can any of you in blogland!!!

From the pizza crust recipe, I now make bread sticks, rolls and even a bread that taste like a sourdough bread...

Here is the post I wrote about making pizza.(click here because I have photos of the froth and the not so perfect looking pizza's!) In the link post I even experimented by making hot pocket style pizza's. Please be encouraged to try. We have grown up in a media world where everything must be visually appealing, and therefore we refuse to try because things do not come out perfect. So what! Perfect is for but One, and all the rest of us fall short, so accept that it will be unique in its appearance and have fun!
Jennifer

3 comments:

Penless Thoughts said...

I agree.....making bread is a very easy and enjoyable thing to do. I made some Apricot-Walnut bread last night after supper. Yummy!!!
Susan

smartdogs said...

I just started making bread again. Even made my own sourdough starter from scratch this time. All you need is stone ground rye flour (it supposedly has the best natural yeast in it). Add water to 3/4 C to about consistency of pancake batter, stir well then put in a closed container in a warm (70-80F) place overnight. Next day add more flour and water, stir well, close and put in a warm place again and repeat for 2-4 more days until it gets really frothy and sour. Then store in fridge until you need it. It needs to get fed about once a week if you don't use it. When you do use it, just make sure you save some over to feed the next batch.

No need to buy expensive sourdough starter - or even yeast.

justdifferent said...

Thanks for the recipe for dinner tonight!!!!!