"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Monday, January 12, 2009

Farm News

We have been blessed to gather two truckloads of leaves for the garden beds, and for the goats. In addition we have gathered 3 large bins of pecans. A friend of Bill's connected us with the owners of a small grove of pecan trees. For some reason they have not been able to sell the pecans or even rake up the grove. The kids and I have spent the past two Saturdays busy, with great results. We traded eggs for the pecans. I look forward to the leaves adding wonderful nutrients for the garden soil.

My brother, UJ came for a visit Friday and we all had a grand time giving him a tour of the farm, and reviewing all the new critters. He was sent home with duck eggs, chicken eggs, homemade bread, and pecans. I already look forward to another visit.

I am studying the methods of pickling foods and hope to this week begin a batch of dill-pickled eggs. I am firm in the belief that learning the old ways of food storage and preparation is never a bad thing. Post on this will be forthcoming.

Recipes to make your own Bisquick mix, ranch dressing mix, and a potpourri should be soon posted also.

Bill has a new farm hand that he is training. (Click here) Oh and here is the Farm Hand!




This is Blue*(*the name that the vet called him) and a bit of Pepsi.

*update-sorry about the poor quality of photo...two back to back poor photos make me realize not everyone can point and aim!

8 comments:

Penless Thoughts said...

Thanks for the update. Mickey would be glad to give you leaves from our abundance!!!!
Susan

Michelle said...

You want some gumballs from our trees? LOL! I hate gumballs and we have a million of them this year. Love the new farm hand. What a cutie.

retha said...

Home the farm hand is quick to learn the tricks of the trade.

ps. I have added your blog to my follow list but never see it updated. Came here to see if you have left. Do you know why I can see when you have a new post?

The Chatty Housewife said...

Poor photos aren't poor anymore if you download Picasa3! I am not advertising for them, I just use the program ALL the time to lighten shots like yours for my blog. :)

PS Now I have a craving for Pecan Pie!

Pam said...

Oh at first I thought Blue may be a blue tick hound. We had one and love her very much. Then I read your new hand is an Australian Cattle dog. If he's anything like our Australian Sheperd, he'll be awesome! My dog would corral the kids of my in home day care onto the couch for me when I'd pull out the vacuum. Then he would pace back and forth in front of the couch, patrolling the kiddos. If one tried to scramble down off the couch, the dog would gently nose them back up into their safe spot so I could vacuum freely!

ConservativePup said...

I'm jealous! We have both lots of leaves and pecans and I haven't had time to gather either. Actually, our pecan crop isn't good at all this year. It was great last year. I'm glad you had the opportunity to get those.

If you're interested in canning, I found a site about 2 years ago where I learned a lot. There was also information about freezing and drying. It's called mrssurvival.com.

Enjoy your pecans. It's a blessing to have them; we love pies and I use them in all kinds of things. I love fruit salad with pecans too.

Your new 'farm hand' looks like a great addition to the family!

Pup

Cathryn said...

You continue to amaze me. I'm enjoying getting all of your home made mixes! Keep up the hard work. Blessings ~ Cathryn

MightyMom said...

so you gonna grow you some pecan trees??