"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Computer Bailout?

My laptop (aka my mobile life) has been having some issues and the screen is fading, so Bill tried to call the number that we have for the warranty. Guess what? The company is in Chapter 11, so what to do? Bankruptcy? Bailout?

We have set a very low bar for the bailout monies and we are on a very dangerous slope as EVERYONE is pleading for money.

My advice: Prepare for the worst, expect the best. Times are not rosy and unlike the Great Depression- we as a society are ill prepared. Most of us do not know how to survive without even the basics. Our grandparents knew how to can foods, preserve foods, butcher animals, and grow a simple garden.

One should consider stocking up on foods. As you know, here on the Double Nickel we have a large portion of our food storage free ranging. If this is not a possibility you can stock up on non perishables. Do not go crazy and go to a survivalist style place, instead stock up on foods that you and your family eat, and know how to prepare. I mean if you stock up on 200lbs of flour and have never made a loaf of bread then this is not ideal. In addition to stocking up, I suggest learning to make some items from scratch. This is not being a pessimistic gloomy Gus, as it is a wonderful thing knowing how to bake a loaf of bread, and the result is everyone will love you!

My prayers are that this is just a bump and our economy will recover, but I have come to understand that only so much self destruction is tolerated before the fall. Too many of our citizens have forgotten that the nation has been successful because we have had a spirit of self reliance.

My plans for 2009: To continue to learn as many skills as possible for my family and I too continue on.

Here are five of the six loaves of bread I made today. The sixth never had a chance as it was inhaled by the savages I like to call my family!
Jennifer

4 comments:

~~Deby said...

You are so right. I think many of us are finding the desire and or need to deepen our pantry. Not just for us but also for others, possibly ????
Can I ask...the sign you have on your side bar:
"Straight is the gate.....etc....
Where did you find that?
Would like to find one, as well.
Deby

Penless Thoughts said...

Mickey & I just took inventory of all the food I have stored away. I was amazed at how very much we had. I knew it was a lot, but am still amazed. We are not going to buy any groceries this month, except the perishables, like fruits, salad makings, eggs, milk, etc. I'm hoping we save enough money to make an extra principal payment on the mortage and cut it down from 29 months to 28 months left!!!

Yes, we all better be preparing as best we can. Again, I'm so grateful that I was taught a frugal life style at an early age.
Susaan

Cathryn said...

The bread looks yummy. Have you posted how to do this somewhere on your blog? I have a bread machine - I - um - never use. Blessings, Cathryn

Ace said...

Hey !

I am with you! We are doing this here and I am about to attempt some bread making, but I am scared. My last two attempts in the bread machine were HORRIBLE. I don't know why, but I am terrified of the yeast.

It seems to be very fussy and that kind of gets on my nerves. I mean, I have read I have to wake it up, feed it, proof it. Can't it just do its job and not be such a diva? I don't have time for this!

I think I will get The General to do it, he loves a challenge :)

Many Blessings :)
Ace