"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why I am Not Worried


See this tree? On my walks one day in town(before we moved to the farm) I stumbled across this tree. Now the home is a little worn around the edges, and the tree, well I was at a loss. I made Bill go and take a photo. When Bill went back he asked the family if he could take the photo and that is when he heard the "rest of the story".

This home is one of a young man stationed in Iraq. The parents were so emotional that they painted the tree and made a commitment to not take the tree down until the son returned. You see this tree with the Stars and Stripes on it gave this family the comfort that they needed in a worrisome time.

When I see the mud tossed from both sides of the political aisle I remind myself that politicians will come and go, but the spirit of the nation rest in all of us. We are the backbone. This tree which perhaps one may see as an eyesore, represents a hero in a far away land. That hero is there so that we can sit cozily over here...and continue to board airplanes and enter skyscrapers.

I have to tell you that yes, I am this simple. Often things that are cherished the most, make no sense to one with refinement. But this nation,filled with a mix of everything under the sun, has never needed the culture and sophistication to hold one's head up high.
Jennifer

*We also were granted permission to use this photo on my other blog in a caption contest here.

2 comments:

ConservativePup said...

Hi Jennifer,
Love this post! You are absolutely right, all around me I see little things, little signs, that lots and lots of folks are still traditional, patriotic, people of faith. It is encouraging to see these little things, and I thank you for sharing this photo and story.

Pup

Ace said...

Beautiful post. My Brother is a war vet and he left most of his heart, some of his mind and much of his soul over there. The treatment he has received since being home is horrible and he is beginning to wonder why he sacrificed so much for such ingrates. It is important to remember no matter what your politics, people have flesh and blood over there!

Many Blessings :)
Ace