"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Just Risk It


My thoughts for today are simple and make all the difference in my home, and perhaps can also in yours. We take time as a family to relax together. This afternoon we played Risk(click here to see Wiki link about game).

Even before we had the children Bill and I devoted time together at home, no money spent, just playing or relaxing. As each child was born we continued. Sometimes it was just a Lego building activity, or concentration with cards, and other times just playing in forts in the living room. The simple time together has been amazing and will travel many years in the future when the children have their own families. The way our children look to becoming parents has been impacted by simple time that they have had with Bill and I.

The way TV or the world presents family is negative, and often something that one wishes to ditch. I am saddened so much by this image as the family is a blessing. I have often heard that we seem corny or boring in the same conversation that I am told that my children are so nice, so kind, and well different. I promise you that the notion of teens and angst do not have to be synonymous.

So as you close your day, I challenge you to risk being corny and schedule an activity at home with your family. It has been worth it and never been boring, and as much as the kids will look back and smile, I will look back and wipe a tear of joy, as I never knew that it could be this way.
Jennifer

* the above photo of Risk Bill won!

* On another post I will share how the morning begins- as a family in His Word, as we know that all things are possible because of the Lord.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Love this!!

We play lots of games together....even on vacation, we all take games!! We laugh, we cry, we are driven at times...

We play Scrabble, cards (spoons is our favorite at the moment), Apples to Apples, Clue, Uno, Pass the pigs... We just have lots of fun...(we played others with the younger ones, and let them play in teams with us as we played Scrabble, etc.)

And, our mealtime is not quiet, either!! Sometimes they last for hours!!

Blessings as you enjoy family time!!

Humble wife said...

Pat~Spoons is one of our current fav's too. We have about six old decks of cards missing who knows how many, and then we begin.

No matter how certain you are to observe the spoons with so many cards it is hard to be observant!

Funny how this is a favorite when guest come over too!!

Jennifer

Pam said...

My boys love Risk and Shane owns a Star Wars version of the game. That really confuses me when I play!
You need to ask Rita about her Risk playing days! Funny story!

Jungle Mom said...

I love Risk but my family ill no longer play it with me as they say I am too mean! I just like to win and the thought of ruling the world goes to my head.