"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Farm Update

Time for a bit of an update on the happenings on the farm. We are now in winter where it freezes every night. Our days are still lovely filled with bright sunny days. I am not sure of the temperature but let me just say we do not wear coats or jackets, and my sons sometimes wear shorts.

For the animals we have made sure each pen has abundant hay for bedding, and that as much as we can weather proof the housing we have. It is quite silly to see the hens in the morn, as they poof up their feathers and the squish their necks down to preserve warmth.

The goats and sheep have their winter coats filling in nicely(sheep have coats right?). I do not think that the ducks even believe that the weather is different. They do not even sleep inside, and actually seem to stay up all night!

Our home takes on a bit of chill each morn, as the fire wains overnight, until around 4 am when Bill adds some wood, but this morn at 7:40 as I am typing I am in a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up, bundled! Once I open the curtains to the east the house will warm quickly.

On the freecycle news, I made a challenge to give 31 things away this month. So far the items seem to be a big hit and I am having many requests. It is a simple easy way to clear clutter from your home. Yes, you can sell things via Craigslist, yard sales, or even eBay...but this is a way for our family to reciprocate the materials to build with, the rooster we got, and even odds and ends offered that have made our transition easier.

In the kitchen- here is my simple soup recipe:

1 can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked ground beef
1 carrot scrubbed(don't peel) and grated with cheese grater
2 stalks of celery finely cut
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup of onion
1 garlic clove minced

*use a large pot- put all the ingredients in and then fill nearly to top with water. Cook on medium high for about 3o minutes.

*salt and pepper to taste- serve with rolls

In the classroom-all is going well as of today no complaints against the teacher:) no spitballs...and a new course is being offered in the new year. I actually am compiling the work for the course I am calling Agrarian Lifestyle...we still have twice weekly PE with the local group, and extracurricular activities that include movies, skating, and the likes.

In the army update--!!! 18 days until oldest comes home!!!!
Here is a portion of his most recent letter
I have been doing my best to stay reading my bible. Whenever I get the chance I talk about Jesus to anyone who wants to know about Him. I talk to people about the bible-I didn't think I was getting to anyone but I started talking to this guy named Jones* and I was able to help him re-ignite his faith.(*I changed the name)
The Lord tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us, and it is clear that He is with my son. Now my oldest stated before the part I shared that the time for free conversation is almost non existent, so understand that he is not witnessing 24-7, just when he feels led to.

Well that's the scoop for this week!
Except I forgot that today I am going to try and get some laundry done...hope it works better than last time.




Jennifer







3 comments:

~~Deby said...

Great post...Mrs. Farmer....I loved it....I am wearing tights now under things for warmth...have you thought of that?
I am sure you are counting the days till first arrives home...I would be that is for sure...
love these newsy posts...
Deby

Pam said...

It was good getting a closer glimpse into your lives once again. So glad your eldest is doing well. What an experience! It's so very evident in reading your blogs, that he has great parents who prepared him for life, with the Lord's help of course.

Penless Thoughts said...

Soup sounds good. I'll have to try that.