"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Road Forks



When we went to Arizona last year I saw this sign and quickly snapped a picture. It really caught my attention as it said so much with 2 words.

Road Forks-this is life. The decision then becomes which path do I take? Do I take the easy path? Do I take the hard path? Pretty cut and dry, yet as when one is driving, the fork comes and goes so quickly that the decision is a split decision, so one must be ready at a moments notice.

My whole life was preparation to the Double Nickel Farm. As the seventh of eight children I was able to work well with others, eat whatever managed to survive the first pass at the table, and well wear Toughskins(the two directly above me were boys, so hand me downs were~ well what they were!) I attended a small school in Ohio and enjoyed living in a rural environment. My early years in marriage were of being an Army wife, and from that I learned that no matter what, no matter where, home is where you put your boots! We lived in 4 states and 3 places in Germany(on the economy) and assessing the surroundings and blending with the locals became second nature.

So although my story, or more clearly my family's story that Michelle Malkin shared makes us look so atypical that we seem to be a dying breed in today's America...well that is not the case.

We have the ability and the determination because before the fork in the road was upon us we were prepared. This is not saying that we haven't had our ups and downs mentally and physically. No, what I am saying is that while we were in our comfy lives we have tried to look ahead and prepare for any scenarios. We committed to one another and the roles we each had, then we looked to carry any slack for another. We never forgot that we had a Creator either. We have always known that a wise man builds his house upon a rock, not because he expected life to be grand, but that when the storms came in, his house stood. So our preparation has included the knowledge that we can do all things through Him. We are not dismayed at adversity but know that with each day we learn something new.

And in case others feel that they too may be nearing a fork in the road, I offer sincere advice: if you stand united as a family, when you hit the fork, you all travel as one. Bill and I have become even closer on this journey, as have the children.

Oh and one other thing, I love Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken...
Jennifer

2 comments:

Pat said...

You are insightful to see the paths God has taken you down to prepare you for the next phase of the journey!!

And, you are blessed and you feel it!!!And might add --You Live IT!!

UncleHenry said...

You are wise to have prepared for your "forks". It take mental, spiritual, emotional, and even financial preparation to be ready for life's challenges. This morning on the way to church, I was listening to the Twyla Paris song "God is in Control", which is the thing that overrides all of the human preparation we can muster - leaning on Him should be the first item on our checklist, as you point out in your "about me" bio. Thank for the uplifting words.