"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, November 14, 2008

Marriage Defined



Who or what defines marriage? The rioting occurring in California made it clear that far too many Americans are allowing this to become a “hotbed” issue. I accept that if one is without a solid line in the defining process it is hard to lock in…clearly.

Perhaps America will alter the accepted definition, but that does not change what marriage was originally created for, nor will it define the meaning of marriage. Marriage was created by God. Adam and Eve were the first man and wife…yes that is how it was, and what is accepted by God.

A marriage between a man and woman in the United States has a fifty-fifty chance of divorce, so I see how it has become possible for the argument that this is unsuccessful and therefore it is time to broaden the definition. I argue that it is not time to redefine the genders of marital partners, but it is time to understand marriage. It is time to understand the role of a man and woman. It is time to understand what a marriage is all about.

Sadly we live in times where the union of marriage begins the race of accumulation and not devotion to God.

Today as I visited with a friend she noticed that I do not have a wedding ring on. She asked where my ring was, and I briefly explained that I wore my wedding set on a necklace when pregnant with my third son as my fingers would swell. I even wore Bill’s wedding band as he was in the Army and preferred not to have it on while on duty. I went into labor early and went to the hospital without grabbing the rings on the necklace. I left the necklace on my bedpost.

We had our neighbors teen daughters sit with the other two boys, and when I came home, I noticed the rings were gone. As we had no proof that they took the rings~ we chose not accuse anyone, as the rings did not make us married. As I spoke this aloud I realized how very true this is. So many women desire an expensive diamond ring, and then the marriage ends in a few years. Rings most definitely do not make the marriage.

God made marriage. Through God we can maintain the marriage. That is why I have never needed a replacement set…

Whether our nation changes what marriage means or not will not nullify what God did. Man is funny thinking that if he squeezes his eyes closed long enough that God will disappear…no He will not. God created this world and all that is in it, regardless of what any of us believe.

So I will not battle against man and his hate of God, when marriage is redefined. Nope I will not. I will instead continue to glorify God by honoring my marriage and the vow I made before God. I will be an example of what a marriage can be like when one does this.
Jennifer, wife of Bill

*photo is of my parents on their wedding day and my mother's mom and dad-1960*

7 comments:

Penless Thoughts said...

Being a living epistle!!!!

So sorry about your rings. At the end of her life, as my mother lay dying her wedding ring was stolen. It was an inexpensive solitary ring, not even a real diamond, but it had sentimental value to me and I was crushed that someone would be so cruel as to do that. Your post brought back that memory or that loss.
Susan

~~Deby said...

I am sad for you that your rings were taken.
Great post on marriage. It is serious business and it was ordained by God, man and wife, all their life....too see what happens everyday with people, surely must grieve the Lord.
Deby

motherofmany said...

That is absolutely the best commentary on the topic I have read yet. It is not our job to yell back- NOTHING happens without the Father allowing it. I think many believers panic and forget who is in charge. The best answer is to honor what He established. Perfectly stated.

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

Dear Jen, I love your new blog look. I love your post, it was so good.

Our computer was so slow, we could barely get anything up so we got another one.long story.... But I am able to come visit again. I missed you. connie from texas

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

Oh, and by the way, one does not have to have a very expensive wedding ceremony either to have a very happy marriage. Jim's and my marrige is almost 47 years old. What God puts together will stay unless "man" it "his" selfishness tears it apart. connie from texas

Pat said...

I would love to hear more about your parents and grandparents!!

E-mail me!!

Jungle Mom said...

I found you again! What a great post. My husband recently posted on this also.
My rings were stolen, twice, in Venezuela. I now wear a very inexpensive ring as I do not want to wear anything of much value but something I can easily hand over to the thief when he asks for it. And we don't have the funds for that kind of thing anyway. Although I am sad that my first set was lost, mainly because they were my mother in laws, they are just THINGS!