"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, October 24, 2008

Planning to Cook


I wrote in my previous post how the Double Nickel Farm family is going to *play* along with Pioneer Week(here). I linked the post that explained in detail the challenge. The blogger that is hosting this has had far too numerous challenges for me to mention. Most I have just smiled at the project but go on about my life. But I do like this challenge so I am going to share a bit of it's rules and how we are going to go about trying to accomplish them.

The first part of the challenge is to make all of your foods from scratch(to the best of your ability). Since we began our life here on the farm we have jumped in with gusto making things from scratch. I think that this is an incredible goal for families to attempt irregardless of participating in the challenge or not. I cannot begin to say how much better off you and your family will be. By cooking from scratch you see every item that goes in the food. You reduce all ingredients that you cannot even pronounce.

That is a huge benefit for you and growing children.

Here is an example of what is in bread(standard white bread) enriched wheat flour(iron, thiamin mononitrate,folic acid, riboflavin added) water, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrated soybean oil, yeast, salt, sodium stearoyl lactylate(lactose intolerant people may have a problem with this ingredient), monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, potassium bromate(since 1991 the FDA has urged manufacturers from using it...yet the bread bag I am looking at is from the store in town from this month), potassium iodate.

WOW...so much!

Here are the ingredients I use to make rolls, bread and pizza crust...
flour(same as above)
yeast
water
sugar(cane sugar)
salt
olive oil

My bread is yummy and makes the house smell wonderful, and we love it. It requires some forethought in cooking yet the rewards are heavenly. So Pioneer Week is something that I am ever so glad that we at the Double Nickel have been doing in cooking. I mean have you read labels?? The one that made my heart jump from above is the one that the FDA has urged manufacturers not to use. They are the FDA, hello.

What recipes can one do in cooking from scratch?(here is our standard menu)

Breakfast: arroz con leche...oatmeal, homemade granola cereal(oats, raisins, brown sugar, powdered milk, cinnamon, olive oil, dried apples)

Lunch: we usually eat Ramen noodles and sandwiches(so this will be modified)and we will have Turkey Noodle soup(homemade noodles and leftover turkey) sandwiches...chicken with rice soup, tomato soup with quesadillas. Yes I make the soups, and the breads...and jellies.

Dinner: gumbo with tortillas, pizza night(toppings are leftovers from the week...) chicken enchiladas...beans spanish rice...salsa, baked chicken...onion potatoes...rolls...strawberry sweets(strawberries soaked in apple syrup- my own), cream of chicken noodle casserole...corn...buttered bread, stew(from farmer's market) breakfast for dinner( pancakes, eggs* all from our hens and ducks*, bacon), chicken pot pie(with any veggies from the gardens)

Snacks: popcorn(we only make on stovetop), pumpkin cookies (our own) pumpkin pie(our pumpkins), apple pie(from neighbors tree), tortilla roll ups(butter melted on tortilla with sugar sprinkled on),

So you can see that we only need to modify a bit. I serve ramen for its low cost and what I can add...add veggies and it is something new. Slice ham and toss it in and it something else...but I will serve soups instead.

I do plan ahead as to have the food ready for the day. Right now I am steaming pumpkin to be able to puree it for pies and cookies. I know that as it is chilly I need to prepare the dough for the rolls and pizza earlier so it will rise. I do this daily and refer to mental menus in case I need to make a quick menu change.

Consider joining in on this challenge...it will really be such a benefit to your health. I will address another rule in my next post.
Jennifer

No comments: