"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, October 24, 2008

Pioneer Week Challenge- Energy Usage

I went over in the previous post the first *rule* of The Pioneer Week Challenge, and now I am going to go over the second rule.

Here is Rule #2 =
Energy usage: Keep your energy usage low by keeping the heat low or off, use only one light in the house at a time (or at least turn off the lights when you are not using them) and line dry your clothes. Since you'll be doing a lot of cooking at home, try to coordinate when you are using the oven to take advantage of baking and/or roasting items at the same time. I don't expect you to unplug your fridge or freezer, so don't worry about that.

This is another fairly easy rule as we are very careful about not wasting energy. I catch the boys leaving the lights on the most, but for the most part we are very good about turning lights off. The dryer began going on the fritz a bit ago and we haven't replaced the element yet. I know that we will but currently we use the SOLAR DRYER daily=)

As for cooking I already maximize oven use, and this is best to contemplate in the summer here in the desert, as cooking in the middle of the day is so cost defective to the budget. My example for this is what I did today, I turned the oven on to roast the 5th batch of pumpkin seeds, then prepped the risen dough for bread, put that in the oven, and then finished making my three pizzas that were for dinner...~~~breathing~~~ with all that effort, but it truly maximizes the oven and its energy.

We use a wood stove for heat, so no furnace going~ so we are still okay with this rule!! And don't worry about not unplugging things. We live a simple life, but are not going to jump off the deep end. I love learning new skills and am quite sure that in a power outage we at the Double Nickel would do just fine. Our freezer is on it's last legs...well it definitely needs to be seen by a *surgeon*, but I am weighing the necessity. (In our past life of climbing upwards...we used this for the Schwan's man to fill 'er up!!)

On the fridge, we are planning to downsize, as the back and the lower shelves, still, in all our caution become a weigh station for science experiments GONE bAd!!!

Well I think that this covers rule #2. I really do like this challenge, as so far it is doable, without much angst on our part. Rule #3 is about water conservation. I can see this is going to be easy as we learned while leasing a home in town about strict water regulations and STILL grew an incredible garden in the desert!! Yes, through simple gray water savings, and some rain barrels for the monsoon season we were fine.

Rules #3 and 4 in the next post.

3 comments:

Kristie Sisco said...

Oh yes, I remember well the days of cramming my freezer full of Schwann's goodies every week (I loved their egg rolls)!!!

Now I just have the freezer above the fridge and it is filled with wierd tightwad items like... tiny containers with a little bit of leftover broth or vegetables to add to soup, ancient cool whip containers with the remainder of a large can of tomato or pumpkin, or (right now) several bags full of day old bread I got for a song. I have also frozen bargain priced milk!! =)

retha said...

I went over there, looks like a good idea. Only we live mostly like that already.
There is a lack of electricity here, we know how to make do. One does not -never- open the freezer at such times. Anyway you can use what is on the inside. That is us- we do not have an outside. If we do go somewhere we can have a braai. (similar to a BBQ, but VERY different.)
Maybe I can say three nights a week we won't use any this or that. Only problem if tonight is the night and tomorrow we do not have electricity or water we won't have it for maybe very long. Then we will REALLY save :)

Penless Thoughts said...

Enjoying these. I've seen the Schwanns trucks and have eaten the ice cream at a friends but we have never purchased from them.
Susan