"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, August 22, 2008

Trash to Treasure

Have you ever looked at something and thought -oh I can make that into something neat? Well today I was helping clean up some barns and found some old wood:

and some other things that I think are electrical gizmos:

So I washed the items. I took the wood and then without measuring attached the knob things and have a farm shabby sheik utensil holder!
What do you think?

7 comments:

Memories for a Lifetime said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

Once again. Jen, you are sooo resourceful!!

I see things like that...but does take me longer to accomplish what I want with them.....

Kitty said...

That is adorable!!!!! I just love the idea of turning trash into treasure. It's one thing my mind always turns to when I can't fall asleep at night. FUN!!!

~~Deby said...

I love this...So creative...boy I would hang it up too...just love the look....
~~deby

Penless Thoughts said...

Shabby chic for sure :o)
Susan

Mobunny said...

perfect! love it!
All kinds of things were going through my mind about the wood and gizmos.......you did great.

Pam said...

You're a genius!

Glenn Bartley said...

I just sanded a door, lots of old paint, took off most of the paint but not all, then put a few coats of polyurethane over it all. It looks like a weathered antique door with class. I like it.

I also like what you did with the wood and insulators. That is truly neat. If you did not put some polyyurethane on the wood, you may want to consider it. It will seal in any nasty stuff, and seal out water that could make nasty stuff grow - stuff you do not need on the utensils. Of course you can also kill of any nasties in the wood by putting it into the oven for about 15 minutes on low heat.

I have to say it is one of the nicest utensil racks I have seen.