"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Sunday, August 31, 2008

From the Kitchen


ROOTBEER BREAD

I have been learning to make everything from scratch. Part of this learning curve is to use what is on hand, and not to rush out and buy the needed ingredients. Well I made homemade rootbeer the other day(5 gallons) and so I had an abundance of rootbeer. So I sat at my favorite computer and looked up recipes using rootbeer. The above photo is my first attempt at rootbeer bread. I made four loaves and only have three bread pans, so I had a lovely round bread. We loved this bread. It tastes like a honey wheat bread. I froze two loaves and we are enjoying the rest.

PINTO BEAN BREAD
These two are pinto bean bread. I made this first as an entry for the county fair. As I said making things from scratch is my new life, and using what is on hand. We have lots of beans...so again what to make? Well yummy bread. This bread tastes like a wonderful nutty wheat bread.


RAISIN BREAD
This was my first attempt at raisin bread. I did not let it rise enough, but thought I would share the skills are learned through practice. This toasted well though and was a great side to oatmeal!

If interested in the recipes, I will email them if you leave your email in the comments in this format...penofjen(at) yahoo(dot) com.

And as a side thought I froze 3 quarts of rootbeer, so I can make 12 more loaves as it was so yummy!

8 comments:

Memories for a Lifetime said...

I musT say that I have never known anyone to make homemade rootbeer - let alone bread from it!!
Sounds great!

Once again, your resourefulness astounds me!!

Penless Thoughts said...

They all look wonderful. I would have never thought of rootbeer bread. The web is so wonderful becuase it puts all this information right at our fingertips.
Susan

blackberrycottage said...

Oh yummy can I come stay??? The food looks amazing and so delicious.
I have not heard of rootbeer bread either. I can't say I have even seen rootbeer here in New Zealand.
hugs Sandra nz

MightyMom said...

well now, that's different!

Mobunny said...

Oh great. Now *I* want to make some bread, and we're not done with the kitchen yet.
Maybe next Monday.

Kitty said...

Your bread looks delicious!!! I agree with Susan about the web. This is a great day and age for you to be embarking on your farming adventure, not only because your boys are big enough to help with the hard labor, but also because of the wealth of information available with the click of a few buttons!! =)

~~Deby said...

WOW...these sound wonderful...and REAL root beer...and bread with it...oh it sounds so good....
~Deby

JAN said...

I'd love the pinto bean bread recipe!
My email address is:
judynlsn(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks so much!