"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday's Low Cost Tip

My tip today is fun and helps rotate items in the freezer. This morning overview the items in the freezer and try and make an entire meal from the freezer. This is to include the meats, fruits, veggies, and even the dessert. Be creative and really try and come up with something. I know that you may need to supplement some to make say cookies or cake...and to season the meal, but I do think that this will be helpful to the homemaker in making do.

Here is my menu...following the above guidelines.
Chicken pot pie...frozen chicken drumsticks(2) boiled and shredded, frozen 1/2 bag of peas, frozen 1/2 bag of corn, Bisquick for the pie mix(I store my flour and Bisquick in the freezer)
*cream of chicken soup, 1 fresh shredded carrot

Strawberry/Blueberry smoothies- frozen strawberries/blueberries, ice
*sugar, milk

*not in freezer!

This will finish off the Bisquick, the strawberries, the blueberries and the peas. I think that the freezer sometimes goes unchecked in food rotation and storage, and by participating in a challenge such as this, one rotates and uses all that is on hand.

I was able to incorporate the fruit and dessert into one item. I do not use too much sugar in the smoothies, and they are yummy! Here is the recipe I use for the smoothies, from one of my older blogs.

2 comments:

my house by the river said...

Yum, this is a great idea!

I can't wait to try the smoothies. Also, you are right that the freezer is often left for last and sometimes we forget what is there.

Great post as always :)

mari

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I love to make homemade pot pies. Much tastier and better than frozen!