"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, July 25, 2008

This and That

Friday's post topic is usually a home school tip, but for this post, I have a few things to write about.

In my previous post, I wrote about going through the freezer to make a meal, to rotate items and use what is on hand. I used two drumsticks for the meal. I boiled them earlier and then pulled the meat off the bones. The pot of water was perfect to then add a few items and bring it to a simmer to make some chicken broth. For the meal I peeled a carrot and used some celery, so the peelings and the ends of the celery went in the pot. I also threw back in the bones and the skin of the chicken. I then added salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and Italian seasoning.

Instead of canning this small amount of broth, I decided that I was going to freeze the broth. My simple freezer jars? I buy frozen juice in reusable plastic containers, so that I can freeze other things.
Here are the containers:




Here are the veggies and chicken bones that I used. I am straining them.



Here is the broth.


Cooled and ready to be frozen!


And the scraps of food?



These will be tossed to the chickens! So full circle, everything will be used to the fullest capacity!


*****************************************************************************
Now to the tip:
Years ago we bought the net and paddles for ping pong. My table is not standard ping pong table size but it is perfect for us. We have championships and challenges that are so fun. As a society, we seem to believe that entertainment and fun require money and outings. This is not the case. Children are only in our care a small period of time. We should maximize our time with them, without placing them on a pedestal but raising them the way God lays out for us.

Just for fun while playing- play with the opposite hand...or with two paddles...or with the cat sitting by the net! Last weekend the playoff match(believe it or not)was between Bill and I!!!


~~you can pick up a net and paddles at the local supercenter...in case you are wondering~~

6 comments:

Kitty said...

No, it doesn't have to cost money to be fun!! We have a battered badminton set that has been hilarious fun over the years!! Bug families and cheap fun go hand in hand I think.

I did a similar thing with the broth as you!! I cooked a chicken in the crockpot last night and strained off all the liquid (I was not about to throw it away either.)

BUT I am the lazy one. My broth is still sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to scoop the fat off the top and freeze it. I better do that tomorrow!!!

Kitty said...

Oh my goodness, time for me to go to bed. I meant to say BIG families, not BUG families... that was a goofy mistake!!! =)

my house by the river said...

Hi, the tip is wonderful. I love simple, inexpensive things that could be used over and over again. Those plastic bottle of juice are perfect to store a small amount.

What a great tip :)

mari

MightyMom said...

uuummmm, I'm having a hard time getting past that you fed chicken bones to your chickens???????


I freeze my broth in sandwich ziplock bags. 1 cup per bag so no guessing how much to thaw. and they freeze flat so don't take up room as our freezer is regularly packed :-)

Pen of Jen said...

Yep I feed the bones to the chickens...oh my they love them!

blackberrycottage said...

Hi Jen,
Great idea. Mmmm, chicken soup sounds fine right now. We are going through a storm right now and it's so cold.
A little idea I have for large plastic juice containers........I store my rice in them.
Hope all is well with you!!
hugs Sandra nz