"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Monday, July 21, 2008

Farm Menu

Did you ever wonder what the average weekly menu was of the Double Nickel Farm?

Well hold on to your horses, here goes:
Breakfast: arroz con leche, oatmeal, or cereal

Lunch:(always the same) ramen noodles and peanut butter and honey sandwiches

Dinner:
Gumbo, bananas
Ground beef burritos, Spanish rice, beans, salsa, cantaloupe
Breakfast for Dinner-scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, and orange juice
Spaghetti, spinach, garlic bread, carrots, applesauce
Homemade chicken pot pie, peaches,
Homemade meat pizza, Hawaiian pizza, spinach salad
Chicken Enchiladas, beans, Spanish rice, salsa, cabbage

Desserts this week: Brownies, oatmeal cookies, pudding, sugar cookies, homemade pretzels

Of course this menu lasts for 2 weeks then I switch things about. I make enough of each dinner so that I can send 1 meal with Bill to work each day. The daily drinks are water, homemade lemonade, a rare Koolaid mix, or milk.

I was pondering things that we do and wondered if others were curious to the foods eaten here. I am a pretty simple person and these menus are flexible and interchangeable. One of the first things that I do after I return from the grocery store is brown the ground beef. I pre-season it with cumin, onion salt, garlic salt, and a dash of cinnamon. Then I take each one pound of meat and put it in three freezer bags. Yes, for every recipe that requires 1 pound of meat, I use only a third. It can stretch and I do stretch it. By having precooked ground beef, I can quickly make a number of meals depending on if one of the kids or Bill is craving something else.

Did you know that you can freeze cheese? Or milk? If these go on sale I buy extra and then freeze them. Milk needs about one cup taken out, before you freeze it, and it takes around 10 hours to defrost. It goes from yellow in frozen state back to white and it tastes exactly the same.

Most of the fruit is fresh that I serve and we have become spinach salad junkies!!!In off season...I try and use frozen fruits.

Planning your monthly menu is a tremendous savings to your home. By being organized you free yourself from rushing out and buying pre-made meals that are loaded with preservatives.

Now what about you? If you write about your weekly menu and some tips let me know so I can zip over and see what you do!!
Jennifer

4 comments:

my house by the river said...

Dear Jennifer; I am also a firm believer in doing menus. I have quite a bit of cookbooks, but the one I tend to go time and again is the Joy of Cooking. I also plan my menus for 2 weeks at a time.

Thanks for sharing :)

blessings,

mari

Jackie said...

Ooo, I want to do this! I'll try in the next few days.

We do a lot of oatmeal, ramen and spaghetti, too!

Joanne said...

Great idea :) I'll have to post mine tomorrow on my 'frugal' blog.
We are pretty simple as well and like it that way!

In Christ,
Joanne

Penless Thoughts said...

I like you cut down the ground beef from 1 lb to 1/2 except for meatloaf which is a big favorite for us. We eat "breakfast" a lot for dinner, too.

I love it when you post these saving hints. We all need to be doing this more and more.

I freeze milk and buy it extra when on sale and just buy 2 gallons anyway to save making a trip to the grocery store just for bread and milk. I always buy about 4 or 5 loaves of bread and freeze it, too.

We are great beans, of all kinds, pinto, navy, lima, split pea, etc, eaters and also soups. I make vegtable soup out of any roast bone I ever have.

Tonight I am fixing scolloped potatoes and onions with a very small piece of ham that I have left over from the last family dinner of ham that we had. This will make 6 meals I have made from that ham, including the big family dinner.
Susan