"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Saturday, June 28, 2008

In the World Not of the World

This is going to be my new Sunday theme. I am sure that I will never run out of things to post about, so consider this a weekly column!

Here are some verses that will lead me in today’s post:
John 17:13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

~ok this is the verse that I am going to hone in on today~

John 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

John 17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

John 17:14- we are not of the world. Do you understand this? We are in the world, and Jesus has given us His Word to live by, but we are not of the world. So what do you think that this means? I believe that this verse means that one should know immediately that we are not like everyone else.

First, as I type this one may think to themselves that I am a legalist as I am going to write some things that make most of us uncomfortable. You see since television has taken its Idol- like place in our home, we cannot clearly discern what is of God, and what is of man. According to statistics most Americans have not one TV, but at least two. So we watch the TV much more than we are in His Word.

Second, I am human and am one that realizes that it is easier said than done. What I mean by this is that it is easier to say that I am visiting, and then immerse myself in the “worldly culture” then it is to, recognize that as a visitor, my family and I must act as guests, and understand that my ways will bother my hosts. You know what I mean, after a few days even a loved guest, drives the host to readily await their departure. That is how the world sees a Christian that knows and lives by this verse. The world impatiently awaits the Christian to leave the room to tell off-color jokes. The world mocks the Christian attitude towards waiting until marriage for sex. The world chides and attempts to shame or belittle the Christian for believing in the Creation account that God gives us in the Bible.

Third, and most importantly as a Christian, we are to pattern our lives after the way the Bible describes, not after the current clothing trends, hairstyles, nor spending habits of non-Christians.
This is the hardest one. I know, because one will be seen as different. I mean, if a Christian man lives by the example that the Bible patterns for him, he is seen as meek and weak. Well he will also be seen as is suppressing the woman, and controlling the children. If the Christian woman lives by the example given in the Bible, she will not wear costly attire, nor dress immodestly. Uh-oh there is the nasty legal word that makes many a Christian angry and/ or uncomfortable. Modest for the world in 2008 is NOT the definition of modest that God sets for us in His Word.

It is not legal to live by His Word. I am certain that the robe argument will come up. Please remember this, whose standards are you aiming to keep: God’s or the worlds?

Not of the world is a biggie. When Bill and I were stationed in Germany, it was painfully obvious that we were not German. But we opted to not live on base, and we did learn of Germany, and the language and the people. We loved our neighbors, but we never desired to become Germans. We also lived off base in Las Vegas, Nevada. Believe me, we stood out! You see we could never be the family that lives by the motto “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!”

This is the mentality that we Christians need to embrace. We are not of the world. Fine, so stop dressing, acting, and spending like we are. God wishes for women to be modest. Pray about what modest means. Study His Word, and compare this study to what you believe is modest. If today you were to worship Him…could you do so with every outfit that you have in your closet? No this is not a legal issue, but a very reverent question. He is our Father in heaven, and yes He made the rules. Remember the woman caught in the very act of adultery? Jesus may have seen her scantily clad, as the men were quick to wish to stone her for her crime. Jesus told her one thing, Go and sin no more. You see when the sin is brought to your attention, you need to repent of it, and sin no more.

So take out your Bible and get in His Word and not of the world.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Great post. I try to keep it in mind as well. It's really difficult to be in the world and not of it, though. Difficult, but possible. :-)

Shelley said...

Hello, I agree...my name is Shelley. It's very nice to meet you. This world is not my home..I'm just a passing through....
Enjoyed your blog,and will be back for sure.
Come visit me,if you like.

Blessings,Shelley

Jennifer said...

Great post!!

Thank you for my comment, I love the waltons as well!! It was a couple years ago and all of them were there except, johnboy,john,olivia and elizabeth,jimbob!! Elizabeth and Jimbob were there the next day when we had to leave:( It's the best show there is!!

Jennifer

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That is an awesome post dear heart! Do you know Jack and I are oddballs? Yep, we only have one television. Shocking isn't it? And a lot of times when it is on it is tuned to a music channel. LOL! Isn't it sad how being "sexy" in dress has become the norm? Even Christian women buy into this nonsense! Another thing that irks me is this. People buy into the theory that some "big bang" created the universe and they yet they laugh at the thought that God created the universe. I know which is more believable to me and it isn't some big bang!

Jason & Anna Wilkinson (polar acres) said...

Very good post! I couldn't agree more. Thanks for putting my thoughts to paper sort of speaking...lol
~Anna

Joanne said...

Nice post, it's good to 'hear' someone else speaking out about worldliness, immodesty, etc.

You meantioned the 'robe argument' .. the way I see it, it's obvious there was a difference in the robes of men and women, otherwise God would not have said anything about men not dressing like women and women not dressing like men. One difference of the robes (that I know of) is that men would pull the bottom back of their robes through their legs to the front and tuck it under their belt, thus forming 'pants'. Women would not do this (one way of using the term 'gird up your loins).

I have many things to say about worldliness on my family blog if you are interested to check it out (labeled 'Christianity' and 'The world').

I will leave you with a quote:
"Any spirit that permits compromise with the world is a false spirit. Any religious movement that imitates the world in any of its manifestations is false to the cross of Christ and on the side of the devil."
A.W. Tozer

In Christ,
Joanne

no treasures on earth said...

Thank you Dear Friend for saying this loud and clear :)

We are not of this world, we are passing through - but while we are in this world, are sole purpose is to glorify our Creator not the creation.

Modest is such a sore subject in today's society but I got to tell you, more and more christian women are falling for the world's view b/c unfortunately they feel like "oddballs".

I am considered quite strange around my family and friends - I don't like TV - we don't have connected TV - just a screen for viewing videos and dvd's - old movies :)

Thank you again, blessings,

mari

Daughter of the King said...

oh such a great post Jennifer, full of things to ponder...
always, timely.
Deby

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

Jennifer, I do believe this is the best post you have ever written, at least to me it is. You have written many great post but this is the best. Keep up the good work. It is appreciated. connie from Texas

philosophywithinpoetry said...

Your post is indeed deeply 'thought provoking' and at a time when I am considering a new church of attendance.

philosophy within poetry said...

I often wonder if one finds more comfort from reading the bible within one's own home and indeed if it is really necessary to attend a church at all?

Rather than that of a church setting - especially when one's observations of some senior members of the church give cause for concern of their teachings and their lack of understanding at their failings.

May God give me wisdom as I decide of a new path I must take.