"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, May 16, 2008

This and That

Here's this:
Remember last post, where I described using the Mesquite branches for shade for the chicks? Well this pile was as high as the Mesquite bush behind it. Fire restrictions are high(of course) and to haul these off would be tedious. The pile is woven together like brambles. So as I looked out the window I thought what can we do with this? Slowly but surely I pull out a branch(poke myself in the process~sadly...ouch) and then weave it in the chicken wire. I love that it is low cost...NO cost and provides the chickens with the added shade.


And That:


Last night we had company over and served grilled chicken, Spanish rice, beans, cucumbers, salsa and several sides. My favorite easy meal from leftovers is using chicken and making chicken casserole enchiladas. We cooked about 20 or so legs and thighs last night, and this is what is leftover.

I first pick off all the good meat.
Then I cut it up into small pieces.
Then I take the corn tortillas and shred them. Spray the pan and place the corn tortillas on the bottom of the baking pan.

They will curl a bit and this is fine.
Cover the tortillas with with the chicken.

Shred the rest of the corn tortillas and cover the chicken.

Shake Hatch's Enchilada Sauce, open and cover. Then put on your favorite cheeses.



Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. This is such an easy meal to prepare and set in the fridge until the evening to heat up. I make the bean enchiladas the same way. Oh and if you do not have access to Hatch's Enchilada Sauce I am so sorry! As this is the most delightful sauce we have ever tasted. It is made here in New Mexico in Hatch of course!!

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'll have to try this. I think both of my men will think it's a hit! I've never heard of Hatch's but will my hubby's homemade enchilada sauce do???LOL
Shucks, I'm hungry now!

MightyMom said...

those were corn tortillas?

looks yummy between you and ellen I'm all out hungry!

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I have made mine somewhat like that but it does look delicious. I am with Pam, I am hungry now. connie

Eilleen said...

Oh yum! Funny enough, I've just posted my own chicken and chicken leftover recipe! I'll have to add this one to my list of what to do with leftovers.

... though I have to say, one of the things I really miss in the US is the quality of your mexican ingredients. *Sigh*

Thanks again!

Jungle Mom said...

I am hungry now, ...thanks... :)

Daughter of the King said...

looks delicious.
Deby